1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question on badger mount ( greasy feel to hair )

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by jkjohn, Oct 7, 2016.

1. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

I have my first badger mount just about finished up but I can't get the hair to fluff up good.I know these animals are very fat but have never had this problem with the hair on any animal.it feels very greasy and almost sticky. Nearly got a wet look to it when it's completely dry.Mostly on the top of back all the way down.Not so much underneath.It was commercially wet tanned.Any ideas on what I could spray on it to get a nice full soft looking hair out of this mount? Thanks for any input!!!!

2. dcooper

dcooper Member

I had a customer come in with a black bear he wanted "fixed". It had way too many issues to discuss here, but one was the hair that was greasy and left a residue on your hand it you wiped it. He was told by the original taxidermist that the hide was tanned, so after re-mounting it, I gave it a couple of baths with Pert shampoo. After blow drying it, the hair was soft, shiny and full (it smelled a lot better too).

3. Running Fox

Running Fox New Member

x2 on Pert - used it on a greasy coyote and the results were great.

4. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

Thank y'all for the quick replys! Great info