1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird flesher question

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by whitetails and fish only, Oct 9, 2016.

1. I am in the market for a new bird fleshing machine and would like some input on what is out there and what works very well. I know this has been brought up here before but there might be some new info now available. I have seen one advertised that has the wheel at an outward angle and was wondering how that one stacks up. Thanks for any input.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If it is the New Angle Feather Flesher, then it is great if you like taking a lot of breaks. It is not fan cooled, heats up when in use for 15 min. or so and quits until it is cooled. I have two table fans running on it to get it to run consistently. It sits on the table top, which makes it difficult to get a turkey under it. I finally put it up on blocks.

I would not recommend it.

3. nate

nate Active Member

I bought a van dyes 10 years ago and never regretted it. It'll flesh anything up to a snow goose. They make a bigger model for the larger birds

4. AliciaG

AliciaG Museum taxidermist and exhibit preparator

X2 on the Van Dykes flesher. I've also had mine for 10+ years and have never had an issue. Not a ton of room under it, but that's an easy fix, and it has a fairly wide shield that's easy to clean. Or, if you're having a hard time finding one with the specs you want, it's pretty easy to make your own (you can search the bird forum to see what other folks have come up with).

5. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

Made my own with a motor from Grainger....... I've done geese and bogged this down to a stop with no problems. Just make sure for one thing and that is the motor is fan cooled.....

6. Rich, if you don't mind sharing, do you recall which motor from Grainger that you used to build your flesher?

7. I got this motor from Zoro Tools just over 2 years ago. I had the Van Dyke's flesher for years and finally needed a new motor after I bent the shaft on it (my fault). I tried to pick one from Zoro that matched the Van Dyke's but it kept cutting off on me. I sent them an email asking for recommendations. They suggested the one below & took the first one back. All that being said, the motor below is noticeably stronger than the one on my Van Dyke's flesher. I did blow up a bird one time on it. If you take your time & pay attention to what you're doing it works really well. I am getting better results with it than I ever did on my old one. I run 2 course brushes on it. I will warn you again, you can't stop this motor with pressure like you could the Van Dykes but the extra power is really nice when it comes to your bigger jobs like swans.

G1982127 General Purpose Split-Phase Motors, 1/6 HP GP Mtr,Split Ph,ODP,1/6 HP,1725 rpm,48Z

https://www.zoro.com/dayton-split-phase-od-16-hp-general-purpose-motors/g/00152962/

8. I second going this route. I made one as well, NEVER had problems with it!

9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I have the large Van Dykes flesher. If you plan on doing turkeys I would recomend it. It requires a little getting used to because of the speed. If you get a bird caught in it its Toast! I had a large honker caught in it and it became an IKEA goose. Some assembly required. 7 pieces.
    I bought the smallest diameter course wheel I could find. Turn on the flesher and push a 2x4 into it to bend the wires over. I bought a new angle flesher latter on and never got used to it. Finally sold it.