1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Not sure whether to be flattered or upset

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by boarhunter67, Oct 11, 2016.

1. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Last year I raised my deer price to $650. So far I am busier than ever. I've had several customers bring in deer and hogs and tell me they're surprised my prices are cheaper than another taxidermist around here because my "work is so much better." I'm torn between being flattered and thinking I should have raised my prices to $700 for deer and $850 for hogs. My thinking is how dare someone who does work that isn't as good as mine charge more than I do. Lol. I'm very busy and every time I think raising my prices will slow things down, it doesn't. I don't like jumping more than $50 at a time so I guess I know what I have to do next year. One thing I like is that the other taxidermist has to drive 6-10 hours on trips to pick up or deliver, but I don't usually do any pick up or delivery so I don't have to worry about trips. Although I am part time, I do about 200 mounts a year. I'm not sure what he does, but he's full time. It's nice though to be priced at what I consider to be the high end only to have customers ask why you don't charge more.

2. John L

John L Active Member

What is your other Job 200 mounts sounds pretty full time

3. boarhunter67

English teacher. About a quarter of those were birds or fish.

4. dhart

dhart Active Member

Good to hear, I like positive posts with a good ending! Congrats, keep up the good work!

5. boarhunter67

After a busy start of the season I've decided $700 for deer, $800 for exotic, $850 for hogs, $1200 for bobcat, and $1400 for elk. That'll make me feel better.

6. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Now your talking!!! Great idea.