1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Can this be fixed?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Deerman, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    Can this deer ear be fixed and how would you go about fixing it? Almost half the ear is gone

[​IMG]

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I got one in year before last that had the top half of the ear completely shot off. I mounted the ear on an ear liner as usual. The top of the earliner was exposed. When the epoxy glue dried I cut the jagged edges of the ear straight. Then I took an ear tip from another deer and matched it up to the ear, glued the rest of the liner and put the ear tip on, matched up the seam lines and it was done.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Looks like a transplant candidate to me, if the customer is up for it.

4. Brian

Brian Active Member

X2. Kind of common actually

5. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Tanglelwood. I have an elk cape with one ear about half missing and was wondering if I could repair it the way you described. Now I know that it can be done that way.

6. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    Thanks, going to give it a try

7. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Bill Yox did a transplanted ear and it was phenomenal. The pic should be in the archives. Probably 7 or 8 years ago.

8. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    Wish I could find it, no luck yet

9. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    100% of my customers would want it as is. That's how they shot him, why put a fancy new ear that's not from their trophy?

10. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    He said he did not want it this way because it happen after he shot it, he said he tore it off trying to run through a bar wire fence

11. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I will report this to Bill. See if he can find the pic and help you.

12. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    Thanks Greg

13. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I just grabbed this from my photobucket. I had two really slipped ears, as they werent turned prior to salting, on a huge lifesize deer. I just mounted the deer, with the liners set like I always do. Then I took a stock cape with good ears and mounted them on the liners. I cut open the mounted ls at the ears, set the liners in with skin, and then judged where the skin would best match and meet, and trimmed it. Then sewed and glued until it was matched and basically undetectable.

14. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

He was resting comfortably after the procedure.

15. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    Hope the one I transplant looks that good

16. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I have replaced many damaged ears over the years and have learned that if you want to distract the eyes from the replacement don't just replace the ear leather right at the earbut include some leather below and in front of the entire ear. Also do the replacement before mounting the head, as this gives you a lot of leather to taxi where you want it. JL

17. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Replacing ears.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Etaxidermy%2Enet%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D327868&share_tid=327868&share_fid=5804&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk