1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need help with beetles!

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by bucktown bugs, Oct 13, 2016.

1. bucktown bugs

bucktown bugs New Member

I have had dermestid for about 2 yrs now and have a reoccurring problem. After i take skulls out of the bugs i shake and blow off with an air compressor and seem to get alot off. But when i rinse the skull before de greasing i seem to kill about 150-300 bugs every time and hate doing that. I have around 50-60,000 but thats a lot every time i take out a head. It does seem to help when i put a fresh one in and they migrate off the old one but not all the time do i have another one to put right in there.
    Any suggestions appreciated, thank you.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Remove the skull, blow off your bugs and put it in some sort of container that will hold it. Put something fresh in with it and leave it for a while. The bugs left inside will go after the fresh stuff and leave the dried out skull.

3. bucktown bugs

bucktown bugs New Member

Gave it a try, worked great thank you.

4. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

I put smaller heads deer sized in a tote and into the freezer for 10 min. They all come out and kinda go dormant, then I pour them back in bug tank, when they warm up they come back to life.

5. I use a hair dryer first gets 90% of bugs then either of above methods to finish

6. bucktown bugs

bucktown bugs New Member

Awesome, thank you! I will try these

7. sbane01

sbane01 New Member

You will find the comment from Sea Wolf is one of the best options.

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Every time I put one in the freezer for " just 10 minutes", I think about taking it out three hours later...too bad for the bugs!!!

9. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

One thing I would add to seawolf's comment.... put the clean skull on something like a shelf so once they leave it they cannot easily climb back in to their house after they have eaten.

10. bucktown bugs

bucktown bugs New Member

I have been taking a blow dryer to them and lightly blow the skull off back into their enclosure and then set in another case with fresh meat. This has saved so many bugs that i usually kill when it goes to degrease. My colony thanks everyone for the advise :D