1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tennis elbow

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by SEC, Oct 19, 2016.

1. SEC

SEC Member

Have any of you ever dealt with this before? I am mounting over 100 deer a year close to 100 birds also. My grip strength seems to be fading fast and I'm only 33 years old. The best medicine I've found so far is about a month in a tree stand which is about to take place.

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Wait til u double your age and see what hurts....Everything!!!! Do some physical therapy to keep your fingers, hands and arms limbered up. It's time well spent.

3. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Yep. I use the sawzall a lot for alterations. That. and a furriers rasp and lots of sewing.

The best stretching exercises I've found isto place your palm on the table flat, with a straight arm with a 90 degree bend at the wrist. Then gently stretch past that 90 degree bend to stretch that tenden. Or you can extend your arm straight out from your body, fingers up, palm perpendicular to the floor, grab your finger tips and gently pull them back towards you.

Doctor wouldn't give me a cortisone shot, because I have a type of golfers elbow and not tennis elbow. A few weeks off from work should really help, but its unusual for me to even take a full weekend off.

4. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Snapped left bicep tendon, impingement in left shoulder, partially torn right bicep tendon, carpal tendon surgery in both hands and trigger finger surgery in both hands. Oh and tendinitis in left elbow. Google physical therapy for it. I can no longer even draw a bow back. 28 years as a truck mechanic and taxidermy will mess your joints up. Best therapy is ice and don't use it. We all know non use isn't going to happen. Like Joey said just wait till you get double that age. If you wake up and don't hurt you're probably dead.

5. I had it really bad in my right elbow. Ended up having surgery. The cut the tendon loose and moved it down a 1/4 inch to take the tension off. No problems with it since then.

6. Brian

Brian Active Member

Shattered my elbow 20 yrs ago in a motocross race.i deal with pain from it every day.the grip in my right hand and wrist is nowhere what it used to be.somedays I just want to cry.i guess as I get older I will need some kind of surgery.im only 38 so I feel your pain.winter time is killer for me elbow.everyday after work depending on what I was doing it hurts so bad man.

7. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I have had it in both elbows but at separate times thank God. My right arm was so bad I couldn't use it at all. That took more than a year and a half to resolve. My left elbow is in recovery right now. I am about 75% at this point. It really sucks when you can't stop working. Most of the time it will get better on it's own but it takes a very long time. They say ice is good but I HATE ice on anything. I have gone the opposite and used a hot water bottle under my elbow when Im sitting in the evening. Heat increases bloodflow and speeds healing. Cold will reduce inflammation but what that means is reduced bloodflow and bloodflow is what heals an injury. Cold may make it feel better short term but does nothing to help long term healing. Take Advil and put heat on it is my advice.

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yep it sucks, I tend to use my other arm in the evening when I'm numbing the pain via mixed libations.

9. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

I had it bad in both elbows, got cortisone shots and it cleared right up

10. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I had the worst flare ups from fishing salmon here in the fall. You do a lot of setting up when you're drifting rigs. I have to rotate from a spinning outfit to a bait casting rig.

11. FeatherHorn

FeatherHorn New Member

I had developed extreme pain on both my elbows, on the underside right next to that little bone knot from weight lifting. couldn't hardly bend the bill of my hat without pain. Talked to a pro bodybuilder and he told me to put focused pressure on the area of pain and massage the heck out of it randomly throughout the day. Pain is totally gone in my right arm and almost gone from my left.