1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Carcass Casting

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by keriWCL, Oct 23, 2016.

1. keriWCL

keriWCL Member

Can someone direct me to instruction on how to carcass cast. I really don't want to get into casting, etc however the fawn and baby racoons I have obtained are worthless with out a form and there seems to be nothing available in any of the many taxidermy catalogs. Unless someone knows of a place I can simply find these small forms that would be the ideal. I just find it very hard to imagine that out of the 1000's of pages of taxidermy catalogs it's been so difficult to purchase these. Uhg... Thanks in advance...

2. RTF

RTF Active Member

I suggest wrapping for the baby raccoons. The fawn can be freeze dried.

3. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

There's a video by Jan Van Hosen. ? Not sure if that name is right. I would look but all my stuff is packed up right now. It's a very informative video, shows all the steps. She does a bobcat, but once you learn the process it's all the same.

Another option is carving your own bodies. Just take the carcass and position it like you want and then using calipers or tape measure, carve a block of foam to the same specs.

You can always wrap. I'm sure there are videos our on that also. Jay Huey gave us a super seminar on how to do it a couple years ago at the Louisiana Show.

One thing for sure...KEEP YOUR CARCASS. If you want you can go ahead and skin and tan your pelts to protect from freezer burn, but make dang sure you keep you carcass.

4. Eaglewood

Eaglewood New Member

I can help-- we recently did a class at Branchbourough Taxidermy and we casted a Civet. Came out great. Call me at 8103580209 Clay

5. I think buying the Van Hosen video/DVD will give you some good insight on what is needed as well as about the process. Good luck

6. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

The VanHosen video is good. Jason Snowberger did a casting seminar at the World Show that I believe is recorded. Check the Breakthrough site found at the upper right of this page.

7. Jean Roll also has a carcass casting video of a baby Aoudad and frequently does seminars if you have an opportunity to catch one. Babies are always hard to find forms for...learn to make them one way or another and you won't regret it.

8. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Another way in addition to the great tips already given is purchase a foam body of a similar shaped animal and carve it to the shape you want. Baby raccoon=chubby ground squirrel, baby deer=muntjack.(sp) Duiker. I have a mold for an unborn white tail fawn head I can mold for you.If interested call me or email me. (See my profile). JL

9. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I have been thinking of doing a Red Fox that is riding on the back bumper of my truck. Thought it could be a show piece for a parade or such. Cast the front feet hanging on the tailgate with hind feet on bumper.
    this is going to take some time to get anything positioned in the proper stands. Image: Willey Coyote hanging on the back of a truck chase the roadrunner.)