1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First replica

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cowtown guy, Oct 23, 2016.

1. So this is my first ever replica. EVER! I hope folks aren't too hard on me.
    This is a 28" x 17" Lakeland replica
    I know I've made a bunch of mistakes. That was kind of the point on this one. I figured the best way to learn was to just buy one and go for it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jakecs

jakecs Member

I'm no expert by any means. And with only doing fish for awhile the one thing that I can tell you is study reference. Your red body line is a little to high. Study and reading reference has helped me. Good luck!!

3. Thanks. I centered the stripe on the lateral line. I'll have to have a look at pictures.

4. Hi, the key to success is to have the reference photos available before you paint This will give you a better "plan". I am not sure if you've had the opportunity to view a rainbow painting video, but TTU's Frank Kotula's video will get you started on the pathway to success! Best of luck, John

5. For a "first"....this is a very good start! Reference is key. Good going!!!

6. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

Great job. Are the high lighted scaled hand painted with a brush? Airbrush work is very nice. Like they said, the red stripe is a little high and (to me) looks too narrow, but then again, each fish is different. I've caught fish in the past that I thought would look ridiculous if they were painted the way they really were.

7. They are done with a brush. I'm going to try a few different brushes on the next one. I want it a little less "bumpy" for lack of a better word.

8. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

The bad news is, I officially hate you now LOL. My first replica was so horrid, absolutely NOTHING like this beauty!! Congrats! You probably didn't ask for critique, but incase this is helpful, I would work really hard on perfecting your spots. That, and nailing the location of that red stripe and dang!! You're right in there! DS

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you used a sharpie for the spots? Painting then on with an airbrush will make them less harsh and more realistic IMHO. Additionally the tail spots are usually more elongated.

And I don't know about others here but the spots I have observed on the rainbow and steelhead I have mounted are a very very dark brown not straight black. Look black but not as harsh as straight black as with a sharpie. Anybody else agree?

Your fish was painted as a lighter bow and therefore I would have gone more subtle with the spots.

10. I appreciate the comments folks. My airbrush skills need work I agree. I have a hard time keeping the thing from either making splatters, or drying right up if I stay off it for more than 6-8 seconds. That's why I finally went to a sharpie and I agree it is too harsh.

I think the issue with the stripe is that I centered it on the lateral line. All the fish I caught and photographed this spring and summer have the stripe centered on the lateral line. This blank has a very defined lateral line and I went with it. I knew it looked a little high but I thought it was better to follow that line than try and remove it then somehow redo it. Is there a good way to "move" that lateral line next time?

11. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

#1 Nice job.

#2 Retarder for your air brush paint drying issues.

And #3, I think most bows that I've seen (generally speaking) have their stripe centered slightly below the lateral line with more color below it than above. That's not to say your fish didn't have it as high as you painted it, but you can always cheat a little bit here if the original looks a little "off". JMO...

12. Thanks for this.