1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Do I use a lid when tanning?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Jordan Park, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Jordan Park

Jordan Park Member

Hey guys, I plan on tanning my first fox this weekend. Just wondering if I need a lid on the pail when it's in the pickle and in the tanning solution?

Thanks

2. TomR

TomR New Member

You will definitely want a lid on it when it's in the pickle. Make sure you get excellent coverage in the pickle. Don't know which exact mixture or method you're using, but follow the instructions to the letter and you should be good to go.

3. Jordan Park

Jordan Park Member

Thank you Tom! I'm using ez tan following Amy's instructions. Hope all goes well! :)

4. You dont need a lid but its ok to use one, sometimes you put a lid on a vat and yeast will grow even on acidic hides, the yeast is green.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

i've never used one in the past 20 years, however, if you plan on storing hides in the pickle it will evaporate over time and a lid will help to hinder it.

6. Jordan Park

Jordan Park Member

Ok I'll prob use a lid just to keep things from spilling or one of the dogs from drinking it.

7. For what its worth, the instructions that come with krowtann say to keep a lid on the container.

8. I use rittles ez tan and never have used a lid. Im actually starting a batch of hides today