1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

blue vs green (frog) tape

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by 1stturkey, Oct 26, 2016.

1. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

This may belong in the beginners category but am trying here first. I see blue tape used on bird feathers but I don't recall seeing the green stuff used. Does the blue remove better or hold better than the green?

I haven't used either on the few birds I've done but would like to know which is best to use for holding primaries in place.

2. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

I just use regulars painters tape. It just the right amount of stick and cheaper than the blue brand. Also down here in TN I never had any luck with the blue tape sticking. It would just roll right off minutes after application. I assume our high humidity might be the cause.

3. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Thanks for the reply. The only reason I ask is I inherited new roll of the green painters tape (high $$ stuff) I was hoping might be better on wings/feathers.

4. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

I had a friend give me a 5 gallon bucket full of rolls of the blue kind but since it didn't work it got tossed. Just give it a try and see if it works or not. Good luck

5. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Good advice. Thanks!

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I use the green painter's tape, the blue doesn't stick to anything.

7. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Ha, there you go. All I see most using is the blue and sometimes the plain. I've not seen the green used and was curious as to why. It is more expensive than the blue, I guess that could be the simple answer. If it works better then it's worth it.

8. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Painters tape I use is put on sale for 1$ a roll multiple times a year.

9. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Dang, foiled again...
    The plain it is, after I use up the green 8)

10. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

You should experiment with the type of tape first before you tape your bird as it may be too aggressive.
    It sounds like it depends on humidity (and temp) in your area.

I use the blue tape and it is too tacky (aggressive) for me. I always have to first apply to my jeans to get some lint on it.
    Otherwise I usually have major issues trying to remove it from feathers.

Good luck.

11. Duk brand plain masking tape works great, much better than blue tape. You can leave it on for a month and it comes off easy and won't leave residue on feathers. you can buy it at wally world.

12. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

I will have to try it then.

13. x2 with wild turkey