1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

History of Organizations

Discussion in 'Taxidermy History' started by Geno, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Geno

Geno New Member

Since reentering the field this year after a few years of layoff,I've lost track of bygone days.With the NTA battles and etc going on I've tried to educate myself on the Association.I recall another organization years back that was started and apparently fell thru.Would someone enlighten me on those characters and or some background.Did some very good artist become blackballed?Shorter yet were can I study the past?This is just a personel note from myself and no added fuel to any fire.I agree to disagree and or agree.All past forums desreve merit for which I appreciate battles won and lost.Paid my dues but not qualified to comment with authority.To those with wisdom of words and experience in the trenches I applaud you.Whatever way you may lean I still cherish my education from your comments.Don't give up the {your}fight.Geno P.S.Thanks for this Forum

2. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

The NTA was started with good intentions. Unfortunately politics have made it pretty much like our current government. Many go in with good ideas, but nothing gets done because of personal differences.

The IGT, while a good group of people and a fun show was started pretty much over politics, a feud between NTA members. It is now defunct.

The structure of taxidermy associations is poorly set up IMO. Competitions, while starting out as a way for members to learn and improve......has now turned into the ONLY function of our state and national organizations. It is the only money we get. To that end competitions have become so lenient as not to make anyone angry so that they return.....and bring their money. I have not been to a competition in a LONG time that did not give EVERY PIECE a ribbon....deserving or not.

The Crains pretty much hold the NTA together and for the most part do a great job. The board members have become obselete in the current system.

Until taxidermists start to re-think our organizations then we will be doomed to mediocrity.

Taxidermy organizations should be focused on IMPROVING taxidermy for the members and the customers. IMO competition should be re-structured so that the emphasis is on improving rather than winning. I could write 100 pages on the subject.

The short version.........politics.

3. Dan Gill

Dan Gill New Member

"The Crains pretty much hold the NTA together and for the most part do a great job. The board members have become obselete in the current system."
    Jim, that seams to be it in a nutshell. How do we get the voice back to the board.? Preasure the president to listen. They are there for discussing ideas. or suppose to be. Can we overthrow the government? The vote shows what most members appear to want, so the rest remain silent? I think all most want is to be heard, and their ideas concidered. seriously concidered.
    Dan

4. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I did leave out a sentence.....add to that paragraph "However, this is NOT the way the NTA should be ran. The DOG should be wagging the tail and not vice versa."

Dan, you are correct, we need to take back that voice. However 10 year contracts tend to squash "the voice".

I am afraid that we will be seeing some big shake-ups in the taxidermy organizations soon. Of course there are those that say FIX what's broken don't re-build......however it looks like things are BEYOND fixing.

Like George says if more don't get involved it will never change. However the turn over on the board is too slow to make the needed changes. On top of that people who WOULD make necessary changes don't hang on through the storms, they always jump ship, SO there is NEVER a MAJORITY of NEW blood. I am not talking about ANY ONE person, I am speaking of MANY who bailed in the past.

5. Nick

Nick New Member

Jim hit it right on the head.

6. blackpup

blackpup New Member

Jim, Your short version is just fine. I have no interest in any state or national organization where the main function is competition and certification. My initial optimism is fading. Gathering info on who and what the new agenda is may be a difficult chore. Stepping up to the plate is going to require entrepreneurial spirit and fortitude. Monte

7. To what Jim Tucker said about competitions - AMEN, BROTHER!

8. Geno

Geno New Member

Another thanks ladies and gentlemen.However was hoping for more History on our foundation good,bad or indifferent.Figured I'd get more past than present from some that maybe has seen it all the last 25 or 30 years.Guess its kinda sorta a who's who also.I know there has been and still honors among our field,just thinking of some real Hall of Famers who aren't"t juiced and fighting dogs.Give me more.

9. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Geno you are asking for a LONG post. I doubt anybody is going to type THAT much.

10. Geno

Geno New Member

I know you're right Jim.Just trying not to name drop here.Seems when names are used its like an ex on this forum.I enjoy the past stories of the characters.Ive been amazed when I've asked to have a picture taken with a who's who.Seems the artist are flattered and humbled.Heck I rate you guys up there with noted sports figures and entertainers and I don't have to pay this month's mortgage to be a small part.To have listened to the Al's,Archies,Sally's,John's and can't count that high's is rewarding enough to frame.Once read that a Bud Hull designed the NTA emblem.Was wondering for example if that is our own local Celeb Taxidermist.Someone please write another book.

11. Geno,
    Depending on what you are after I would start with keyword search of the forum archives. Write down the qustions you have and start there. Next start e-mailing and picking up the phone of the key people in the area that your information centers around. And last but not least hit your conventions and talk to those who have been around. Many a good conversation. Obviously, the more you put into it the more you get out.
    Mac

12. Geno

Geno New Member

TY Mac will continue however battlelines are drawn so as not to conjur up feelings don't want to namedrop.Seems most replies have been more on current issues than both good and bad in the past.Afraid the next thing we will find some taxidermist juiced with only winning mounts then another war begins.Appreciate your response. Geno

13. Kathy

Kathy Active Member

Ralph Garland wrote us an excellent two-part article about how the NTA was formed. Don Ryno also wrote an article about the formation of the Internatinal Guild of Taxidermy (IGT). Here is how to find them in your back issues of Breakthrough:

Garland, Ralph. Part I–Share History: NTA–The Early Years, Issue 43, pp90-91
    Part II–Share History: NTA–The Early Years, Issue 44, pp68-69

Ryno, Don. A History of The International Guild of Taxidermy, Issue 42, p127
    Reflections of 50 Years of Taxidermy, Issue 82, pp109-111

14. catman

catman Active Member

Kathy you are so smart, and attractive I might add.

15. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I can't wait for Kathy to take me fishing!! ;)

16. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    You're welcome for the photo Michael. With smiles like that, I just know you both had a great time at the Nationals. Thanks for taking time to chat with me too. It meant more than you will know.

17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Kathy Blomquist is one of the most brilliant people I know in, around, or about taxidermy. Having said that, I'm sure she's heard snow jobs from other brilliant people over the years. But Phil, you and Michael are pathetic. LMAO

18. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

George, don't be jealous of Phil & I just because Kathy doesn't wanna here about the fishing trip's you took as a child in the late 1800's ;D

19. Geno

Geno New Member

KB thank you,these is the kind of research I was hoping for.Geno

20. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Geno...if you can ever attend a seminar by John Janelli, you will hear more fascinating historical stories about taxidermy than you can imagine...and he tells them with such enthusiasm and gusto!!!