1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question for the full time taxidermist

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by tmpatton22, Oct 29, 2016.

1. I recently went full time into taxidermy things have been going well. I was just curious if the taxidermist that have been doing it for a long time set a total sales goal every year or not? And if you do how is this years progress towards that goal going so fair? Also if you set a sales goal what is your break down of the number of each kind of animal/mount you expect to get to achieve that sales number?

I have been doing taxidermy for 16 years now. I started doing it as a business part time in 2012. That season I did one shoulder mount and made about $175.00. 2013 I did 2 should mounts and a boar shoulder mount and made about $1,000.00. 2014 I got in a little more work and made about $8,000. But last year was my biggest by far, I made nearly $20,000.00.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Cleared or gross receipts? Big difference. I myself, set expectations but often don't exceed them. There are too many variables I feel to lock it down, so my actual acceptable goal for each year is to clear more than the last, regardless of the amount of work I take in. You can accomplish that in different ways, but the easiest is raise prices. We all have our own overhead and lifestyle to cover.

3. Thank you for your response 3bears. I was talking about gross receipts for the sales goal and the numbers that I gave for each of the previous years were the amounts that I cleared.

4. gab

gab Active Member

I expect a modest increase each year unless weather or the economy become major factors in my intake.

5. Thanks for your response gab

6. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Well-Known Member

Texas
    While enjoying the banter, a Jeff Foxworthy quote popped into my head. It's from the customer's perspective and if you haven't heard it before, it goes something like this:

"If your taxidermy bill exceeds your gross annual income, you might be a redneck!"