1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need help softening sheep skin

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by joiakim2003, Oct 29, 2016.

1. joiakim2003

joiakim2003 New Member

I am working with my first sheep skin. It has been fleshed and salted and dried then shampooed worked over a board and dried. It was real soft so I applied neatsfoot oil. It is still flecible but is papery and not soft any more. How do I get it soft to stay? Thanks in advance for all help.

2. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Hi! You didn't mention, softening or rehydrating the skin, and then Pickling and later, Tanning it! You also mentioned applying pure Neatsfoot Oil to it - which is not by itself (in a pure state) a good Tanning Oil. It's doubtful it will penetrate your skin. Could you please clarify what you said? Maybe then, someone will offer more info to help you.

When you rehydrate the skin before Pickling it - be careful - the Shampoo you used may have a residual and remain in the skin or Wool. Be sure to rinse it well, and allow it to drain before proceeding. It could influence the Pickle's pH and raise it too high!