1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Gel like skin

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Davidbelgium, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Davidbelgium

Davidbelgium New Member

Hello,

I pickled some skin in a formic picked than put them in the tanning bath (aluminium/Novaltan) and got a strange texture like gelatin? What did I do wrong? Any idea?

David

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

what where your steps? You didn't say if you neutralized the cape, was there salt in the pickle and if so what did the salinmeter read? please give us more info for better help

3. Salt as Frank said, I don't care what these folks say you have to use salt. The salting steps can not be skipped, PERIOD !!!

https://fleshingmachines.com/training-videos/

DP

4. Davidbelgium

Davidbelgium New Member

Thank for your input!

So my steps were:

1. Put the skin in the pickle bath: salt, detergent, formic acid, pH 2,5
    2. fleshing
    3. Second clean pickle bath
    4. Tanning bath: Aluminium based (Novaltan), formic acid, salt

Not neutralized yet

I never salt before and it's the first time I get that result. The skins are roedeers and mouflons, so not very special things

5. How much salt in the pickle and how much water? Should be at least a pound of salt per gallon especially if you are not salting before and placing a raw skin into the pickle.

Again you really need to salt and drain prior to adding the skin to the pickle. And there shouldn't be any acid added to the tan once pickled.

DP

6. Davidbelgium

Davidbelgium New Member

Thank you for your answer, it helped a lot!

And how much salt do you use in the tanning bath?

7. Same, 1 pound per gallon.

DP