1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Painting Pheasant Waddles - Color?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by RichMO, Oct 30, 2016.

1. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Talked to a couple of people about painting the waddles and read George's post on painting. If you look at a ref. pic of the bird and or go to a game farm for ref. pictures the waddles appear muted to bright red. So I thought I would throw this out there. What colors are being used? Is a base color being applied first? I know how some are doing their heads for comp. work (mounting the head area) but everyone seems to have a difference of opinion on the painting.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    candy gill red

3. I have been happy with Lifetone gill red for close to 25 years. Since they very in color and time of year and probably tame verse wild. that red still works fine for me.

4. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Ok.... I've did the Gill Red on one side and Candy Gill Red on the other side..... I still don't care for the out come. The red does come thru but not near as bright as the waddle when it was alive. Waddles were dry and I just painted over them. I'm beginning to think that a base coat would have been better before applying the reds to brighten them up???
    Attached is a pic of a live bird....note the color (bright)...

Attached Files:

5. nina5150

nina5150 Active Member

a white base coat was what i was thinking.i did that on the artificial toucan bill.. I forget if i used a florescent color and then dumied it down with regular color.if that makes since..lol..

6. try a light coat of tangerine orange over the red, if you can see it its too much

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Rich that picture also appears to be a spring or summer time picture. Aren't the wattled more vibrant then, especially in the spring. The roosters that I typically get in have many more feathers on their wattles than that picture shows as well. Candy gill red does soak in, so maybe a seal coat first might make it brighter, if that is what you are going for.

8. FF/Birdman

FF/Birdman Active Member

Hello Rich. Maybe I can help a bit. If the wattle dries dark soften/ even it up with flesh. Then follow with Wildlife color Naphthol red. These 2 colors give a nice look. Hope this helps a little. Happy Thanksgiving, Paul.

Finished heads

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Looks good birdman,

10. nina5150

nina5150 Active Member

Let us know rich what turns out.im going to have a couple phez to do...

11. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

3Bears, Nina and Birdman... I'm going to try some of these ideas out. I noticed that Cory posted a pic of a bird he just completed and the waddles are dark like mine. I just think they need a little more pop and that would mean a brighter red.... Sometime ago I put a white base coat down first but that made them to bright. I'll have to try the flesh and see what happens. I guess I'll be heading to the local game farm tomorrow with the camera......LOL

12. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Will do Nina...

13. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I paint mine white first, then Naphthol Red Light from Wildlife Colors. Creates a much more vibrant wattle than Gill Red.

14. stuffer2000

stuffer2000 New Member

I mix gill red and vivid orange together to my likeness, works great!

15. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

Just painted this one with roughly a 50/50 mix of lifetone laquer dark red and meon red

Attached Files: