1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Do folks ever just try to screw with you?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by den007, Oct 30, 2016.

1. den007

den007 Active Member

Okay, I have just about had it. 35 plus years in the business, and all but perhaps 3 folks have ever given me a pain about my work. One was a totally ignorant "woman" for lack of a more colorful term I painted a very, very basic palomino trout for, practically an albino, and she did not like it. (Oh, whenever friends get involved with their evaluations, you are always in for trouble.)

More recently was a rancher from Texas (go figure) who is quite old and was giving me innacurate measurements vs weights, etc. I always work with folks to tweak any colors I put on fish, email them, and go from there. He claimed I did not do this for all his fish, yet paid in advance. Stumps, vegetation, etc etc.....we went back and forth and finally he decided it was just too much for his little brain to handle. I sent him all the habitat material for FREE to try to placate him. Well, he liked 2 of the 3 peacock bass, but thought the other was "lacking."

Recently, a very smarmy little wretch from Kentucky sent 4 pics of a habitat scene he wanted for $800 -$1600. I spent a ton of time explaining wall pedestals versus "coffee tables" , how he could save a ton of money, etc. He came back with a scathing rant about how I was not listening and he did not want any of that and that his Dad left him, he was raised by a stepfather.......blah blah blah. I told him what I thought of his Yuppie trash talk and explained I would not work with him for any amount of money.

Today, some enlightend perosn from MS gave me some dimensions to work with.........20 inch trout, 11.25 inch girth........14 pounds. Okay Anybody can make a mistake so I will not jump on this right away, since my security setting records all contacts with IP address, location, anything needed to prosecute threats or pranksters.

Am I alone in this???? Does the good Lord just hate my guts?

Feedback appreciated.

Today, I get an email from a person (another way down south person)

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Only you can answer this, is it karma? Other folks can be a P.I.A. at times but, then so can we.

3. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

All part of doing business.After 35 years in the business and only this has bothered you you're lucky.....try 64 years like me. Hang up the phone and go back to work..JL

4. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

We always tell customers if they have habitat pictures that we will it get it close too, or similar. Same thing with fish colors and patterns. Fish sizes we tell them that we have a limited supply of quality blanks and that we till get the closest size possible.

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Never had any issues like that. I suppose if someone was continuing to have these same types of problems it might be time to look in the mirror. Just a thought...

6. den007

den007 Active Member

I think the count was 3 out of thousands of fish. I guess that is not too bad. I can have a thousand folks jump for joy, and it is the one or two that whine that bother me. The attitude on this last guy was just off the charts. I tried to educate him as to the options and expenses and he interpreted that as my just wanting to do it my way.....then asked if all I did was paint "fake fish" as he called them, and insinuated I get a real job like him. No way do I take crap like that for any amount of money........there is nobody's money I need that bad. Smarmy, entitled, Millenial yuppie type. I probably interrupted his smart phone video game.

7. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Typo. 4 pounds, not 14. Unless of course they said it to you over the phone. Then it's bullspit

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I no longer do business from a distance where I have to ship the replica fish etc.and the customer has not been in my shop. Seems they are already a little nervous because they have not met you face to face. Hence they will bother you and pester you more than someone that is local. I have plenty of local customers so I choose not to deal with it. And I hate building crates etc.

Had a guy a few years a got that I could tell was going to be a pain in the ass and acted like it should be an honor to do his big pike. I sent him down the road. LOL