1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

ALMOST A New Record Musky from IL.

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by EA, Oct 31, 2016.

1. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Huge Musky from Illinois.

Beautiful fish.

Doug P, please post a pic when you get it done.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/greatest-muskie-caught-in-illinois-maybe-heres-the-story/

Correction: I misread the article. The record stands at 38lb 8 oz......but this one was longer ;)

2. den007

den007 Active Member

Re: New Record Musky from IL.

Wow........that is a monster. a childhood friend, David Pan once held some kind of state record with a fish from Shabbona like in N. Illinois. Pretty sure it was not anywhere near this size.

3. dougp

dougp Active Member

EA, thanks for posting the link. It's not really any official record although an IL biologist claims it may be the longest musky certified in IL so far. It's also interesting that it's a spotted musky which is unusual. According to musky historian and expert spotted muskies are not supposed to do well in IL for some reason. Definitely a beautiful fish. Seems that fish has an empty belly. If it had been on a feeding binge with a few pounds of forage in it's belly it could have easily gone well over 40#'s which would have been a new state record. Too bad for empty bellies!! :( :( ;)

DougP

4. nate

nate Active Member

Yes, beautiful fish. Spotted phase is my favorite

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I hope the taxidermist charges him extra because having done several state records of various species I can tell you he will pester the taxidermist to get it done sooner.

Like a dumb [expletive deleted] I used to do state records free for the advertising. Guess who gets forgotten first when it comes to state records?

6. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Cecil,
    I misread the article. Although the fish is longer than the record. It's not heavier. The current record remains at 38lb 8oz.
    The fish in the article weighs 35lb 10oz, but at 54 inches, it is 3 1/4 inches longer.

I will amend the title.