1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Freezing, fleshing and salting capes

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Nick85, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Nick85

Nick85 New Member

I have a deer cape that I am working on fleshing. I wanted to buy a couple fleshing knives but I'm sure with shipping it will take a week or longer. So I wanted to store the cape. I was wondering can I freeze the cape before I flesh and salt it? If so should I freeze it flesh in or flesh out? Thanks for your help.

2. scplath

scplath New Member

You can freeze the cape before fleshing and salting. The best way to do it is to turn it hair side out and roll it up from the face down. That way the face will be covered by the rest of the skin and protect it from freezer burning in case you don't get to it as soon as you hope to.

3. Nick85

Nick85 New Member

Well I hope it will be okay I did what you mentioned above but I rolled it flesh out. I read a couple places to do it that way so I hope it will be ok.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If you have it in a plastic bag Like a garbage bag you'll be ok for the amount of time it takes to get your knives. If it is not bagged go out and bag it. A week or two should be ok.

5. TomR

TomR New Member

Rolling it up hair side out will provide better protection. Be sure to limit your freezer time in consideration of the way it was frozen. A few weeks that way won't hurt it, though.

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

On capes that I plan to be working on again in the near future, I lay them out flat (hair side out) on a piece of cardboard in the freezer, then bag them the next day. Thaw time is greatly decreased since they are not in a ball.