1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antelope cape advice needed

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by boone90, Nov 1, 2016.

1. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

I just got an antelope cape back from the tannery, the quality of which I am not impressed with, but live and learn try a new tannery. The problem is that the white hair really isnt all that white. The good news is that it is not blood stained. How should i go about selectively bleaching the white spots, including the areas on the face, without harming the neighbouring coloured parts? I am assuming a product with a thick consistency that wont run? Any advice is appreciated including rinse and wash procedures after the bleach has soaked long enough.

Thanks, Dan

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Is it wet or dry? Sometimes wet white hair looks yellow or orange.

3. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

Its a wet tan but the hair itself is not particularly wet. The base of the hair is significantly whiter and then the outer two thirds. I imagine the discolouration is a result of the day to day life of being an antelope.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    without seeing it, I can't really tell but, I do know their hair is very brittle and don't know if it will handle bleaching very well. If I was to try anything I would give it a gentle wash with shampoo.

5. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Yes you can bleach with good results. go to a beauty salon and get a powder product called Basic white and a bottle of 30 percent peroxide. WEAR gloves and eye protection and mix up one scope of powder and a few ounces of peroxide to a paste. Apply to the white areas with a 1 inch brush. Just lightly coat it. Let dry overnight then brush out. While wearing eye protection and a dust mask. You don't want to get the 40 percent or higher as it will burn the hair rather than bleach it leaving it worse.

6. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

Great I really appreciate the help. Is there any special steps i should take to keep the cape hydrated ivernight while this takes place? Or is a soak and wash the next day enough to rehydrate?

7. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    You do the bleaching after the mount has dried.

8. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

Well I am glad I asked! Thank you so much, I am new to gameheads and cant wait to start. I have a couple of donated whitetails to practice on, then my inlaws antelope... Let the learning curve begin, i hope my bird experience lends itself well to shoulder mounts....

9. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    I hope u have studied reference really good. An Pronghorn is a unique animal that has about 6 hair patterns that need to be in place in order to give this animal justice. Remember also their eye set is close to 20 deg. Not like a typical deer at 45 deg. And please don't over rotate their ears to a forward look like a deer. Although they can move them forward it is very seldom they do. The most typical ear placement is facing outward just a slight rotation forward looks great. Good luck

10. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

The white hair on speed goats are not really bright white, they have some of the brown on the tips or stained look. They is also a gland on the sides of the jaw/head that needs rebuilding. They are nothing like a white tail. I mounted 2 of my own practice capes just to figure out what was going on and watched a few VHS tapes before even trying one. Yes VHS, been awhile.

11. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    I sure hope you removed the scent glands that are directly under the black patch before tanning.

12. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

The cape was tanned commercially so I would hope thay they would have removed said glands but I will look never the less. By the sounds of it an instructional video is sounding nearly mandatory, any recomendations are welcome!

13. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Manny Chavez 3 set dvd. Need to call him directly at Artistic wildlife studio in Carlsbad NM.
    The tannery does not remove the glands the person that fleshed the animal needed to remove them. They are invisible just by looking at the skin as they are under the membrane all the way down to the hair roots.