1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking for a straight trout form

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by IAtaxi, Jul 23, 2007.

1. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

All the trout forms I buy to me have way to much action to them for a stream trout. Does anyone make a straight stream trout form? Or a form with only a little action? If so what catolog can I find them in.

I don't need muskie action in my brood stock rainbow John Reinhart.

Thanks

2. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Just carve one!

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Yes carve one. If you want to be an outstanding fish taxidermist you're going to have to break down and carve fish bodies. Trout vary so much it's hard to find a perfect match. If you get good at it now you won't be in a fix when that customer brings one in you can't find a manikin for.

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Have any of you folks that use the ordered forms actually taken the time to tally the whole cost? Now, I'm not talking the cost compared to the foam you buy through the supply companies, but compared to the Dow foam that you can get for about $70 bucks a billet??? I've got about about $3 or $4 bucks of foam into an average sized bass. If that. It takes me about 20 minutes to take a tracing and carve a body. I would imagine it takes about the same time to locate and order a body and then trim that body to fit???? Maybe you get lucky and it fits perfectly? Unless those bodies are under $5 bucks, I just can't see how they're cheaper to use??? Not trying to start a "debate", I just don't see how people can say that they're more cost-effective vs. carving your own. What am I forgetting???

5. With each fish having such a varied and unique shape from one another(even within each species), I couldn't imagine trying to purchase a fish form and then futz with it to try and make it fit correctly.
    I worked on a pike today that was approx. 44 inches and MAYBE 12 lbs. The thing looked deformed with a very large head and a sickly looking wimpy body. Definitely an old fish past it's prime. Tomorrow may find me working on a 44 incher that's 24 lbs. Do they even make such varied sizes in the same length forms?

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Good points guys. The way I do it is I carve when I can't find a good fit but I use a mannikin if I can. And all the panfish are half cast. I won't order a mannikin if I have to alter it. With largemouths I never have a problem getting a good fit with a manikin. I still say mannikins are more cost effective if they fit right.

7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I think it just depends on how quickly you can carve a body Cecil. For me, I've found that if I don't do it regularly it can take a bit longer than 20 minutes. PLUS, IF you've got plenty of better things to do in the shop, I could see spending the money on a form if you know it's going to fit. It all comes down to what time you have and what your time's worth (same as the debate with "ready to paint" replica's vs. doing the finish work yourself). $5 bucks (foam) + 20 minutes @$30/hr = $15. Or, $15 for a purchased form. About the same cost if I provide my own "sweat equity". Cheaper to carve if you've got to alter your store-bought form...

8. One of the most enjoyable processes (to me) in taxidermy, is the carving of the body. I could easily give up all the rest and just carve fish bodies. I have always enjoyed three dimensional art much more than flat art of which, I am not very good at.

9. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

Wow 6 responces and not one answer to my question. Thanks guys! I'm looking to buy one as I didn't trace the fish before skinning to carve.

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Actually your question was answered but not clearly. For most of those that answered your question, it's a given you won't find one. That is what we are getting at and why you should carve. And even if you do the odds of a perfect fit are not good.

That said you can still carve the fish by outlining the skin in a closed postion. It will just take longer as you will be doing more test fitting.

And if you sound ungrateful on here be prepared to get blasted. We get pissed off when we take the time to answer your question and we get a smart ass response.

11. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

I'm not ungrateful I just figure there would have been someone out there that knew where to point me on something like this(I wasn't expecting everyone to hit me with the carve one responce). I can't beleive the action some of these form makers are putting into stream trout. Thanks for the advice I'll keep carving in mind, but for now I think I'll go look through ' all' my supply catologs.

12. AndyH

AndyH New Member

Marc, you should try some wood fish carvings!

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Most people prefer the curved forms which is why the suppliers supply them. To each his own but a straight form looks dead to me. There is no such thing as a straight line in nature.