1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting a deer with no eye

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by huntingful, Nov 2, 2016.

1. huntingful

huntingful Prairie Ghost Artistry LLC

So I have a client that shot a big Kansas mule deer. The buck had no eye on one side and he wants its mounted like that. He said the eye was hollow. Any ideas? I was thinking of just using clay and critter clay to mold the hollow eye.

2. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

Thats the way. Remember, that eye will be somewhat 'lazy'. In other words, don't make the eye socket too open.

3. dhart

dhart Active Member

I would use epoxy and air brush it!

4. troy

troy Member

PA
    I did one just like that by making a temporary eye from clay, mounted it, then dug the clay eye out of the socket. The lid will get messed up a bit getting the clay eye out but you can just reshape it and babysit it for a few days. As stated already, the lid will be a bit lazy or droopy so that kinda works out. After it is dry, sculpt the inside of the socket with apoxie and paint. worked out really well. Good luck!

5. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

I modeled the eye first with Apoxie sculpt and let it dry. No clay to worry about getting messed up. Before I mounted the deer I also finished the inside. The customer loved it.

6. I'd like to see pictures of this, sounds pretty cool.

7. huntingful

huntingful Prairie Ghost Artistry LLC

Well thanks for all the advice. I actually drilled the eye socket deep in and placed the eye in there. I took the lids and sculpted as usual other than of course they are quite a bit droopier. I noticed after sculpting the lids that there was a obvious hole in the upper lid where he got gored at. Poor guy must have hurt like hell. Anyways I will post pics once it's painted and done. Not sure if I did it the best way but the client loves it so far. Thanks to all of you.