1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

hair sticking up on cape

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by stacks_taxidermy, Nov 9, 2016.

1. stacks_taxidermy

stacks_taxidermy New Member

I've had this discussion with many taxidermists with no real answers. does anyone know what causes that crazy hair that sticks up in spots on tanned wt hides?
    I've heard everything from salt content to high/low in pickle to improperly neutralized to that's a good question?

salt in the pickle makes no sense to me, I had 7 capes in same pickle. one comes out with the crazy hair 6 do not. all neutralized the same method. all tanned the same method. just wondering...

2. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

I have always believed it is caused by a pickle being too "hot", and removing too much of the natural protective oils in the hair. I could see not having enough salt in a pickle also being a problem by not keeping the acid in check.

All anyone can really do is give an educated guess based on past experiences :eek: Especially if it doesn't happen to all skins in the same solution. .?? Good luck with this one! LOL

3. stacks_taxidermy

thank you for responding. I feel the same way. I check ph & stir twice a day. its only happened twice in last 4 yrs but its become my white whale! lol

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

my opinion is different for I've put skin in pure acid and nothing happened, so my thought is it may be a bad area that had a high area of bacteria and may be an area of slippage. Again it's only a guess and why does it really happen lol

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have tanned several capes at once and some of them had this happen while others did not. It is a very frustrating occurrence because I know the hair wasn't like it before tanning. The hair is tight on those, but it just wants to stick up. I just wet the "cowlick" and put some diluted Pro-1 paste as a hair gel to keep it down. No one knows for sure the cause, which adds to the frustration.

6. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,361069.msg2431198.html#msg2431198

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,378881.msg2540616.html#msg2540616

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,180815.msg1268459.html#msg1268459

7. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Where is Glen when you need him?
    I sure do miss him, his knowledge, and that microscope! For those of you that don't know, Glen Conley developed Stop-Rot.
    A great guy, that kept the tanning forum hopping!

8. stacks_taxidermy

it is frustrating! I've been a hair stylists for 30yrs and have had many a person with bad hair! even with all my knowledge of hair, this issue takes the cake!

I used mens hair wax on one and held hair in place with window screen overnight. worked great. I hope to not have to, but ill try the diluted hide paste.

thanks for all the input.

9. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

It would be nice to hear some feedback from Taxidermists that encounter this problem. It's always been extremely difficult to point a finger at the problem, and it has plagued all of us. I still have not seen a reasonable reason this occurs! For one thing - its extremely difficult to track where it may occur during the Tanning process. Does it only happen to skins or capes when they are Drummed? Or does it occur when they are Pickled? Since many Taxidermists encounter it, I'd like to see some feedback - but specifically with more info on it. Since it may only happen to 1 out of 100 Capes - is it simply a Cape that was left in a Drum too long, or perhaps some of these guesses about too much Acid, or low Acid pHs are true? I have my own suspicions - particularly where the Taxidermists say the Hair seems to have been turned, and forms a "cowlick" where the hair seems to have been rotated - but I've never recieived any feed back about whether the skin was processed normally, or Drummed afterwards.

10. I also think its bacteria in those spots, usually in those spots, the hair is loose.
    It usually happens with 1 out of 4 in the same pickle, so I don't see
    how it can be the pickle, unless the hide is reacting different than the others in there.
    Happens only a couple capes a year for me,