1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rainbow or king?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by jimss, Nov 13, 2016.

1. jimss

jimss Active Member

I just returned from the Great Lakes where there were a bunch of 4 to 5" long fingerlings that obviously had just been stocked. I was wondering if anyone can recognize whether this is a steelhead or king?

Attached Files:

2. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

Tough to tell from the angle of the picture but if I had to put a Penny on it, Id say rainbow.

3. It looks like a juvenile king salmon to me. Both are similar but little kings tend to have parr markings that are more like bars (like this fish) and their spots are nearly all above the lateral line whereas rainbow juveniles have spotting lower on the body and more oval shaped parr markings. Additionally the mouth is larger which is true of king babies. Catch herds of each while living in Alaska......

Brian

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I'm going to shot for a bow. I see a purple stripe in the fish which tends to be more of a bow than a King

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Next time count the anal fin rays. Chinooks have many more anal fin rays than rainbows.

Chinook 14 to 19 anal fin rays.

Rainbow 8 to 12.

6. Multispeciestamer

Multispeciestamer Active Member

Hello this is my first post. I am from the Great Lakes region. The fish in question is a Coho Parr. It will smolt and enter the lake next spring. Coho are planted in the fall and spring time. Chinook are only planted in the spring, and smolt at a much smaller size then Coho and Steelhead.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Good information. Since the poster mentioned chinook I didn't think about coho.

8. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

Same

9. jimss

jimss Active Member

Here's a reference that's pretty good: http://www.northcoastweb.com/fishing/Other/identify.html I'm still not sure what they are!

10. Multispeciestamer

Steelhead/rainbow parr are very vividly colored, there is no mistaking them. Chinooks parr at this current time would just be starting to hatch and extremely tiny, next spring they will be 2-4" and migrate out to the Great Lakes. They do not spend a year in the rivers like Coho, and some other anadromous salmoniods do. The fish in your photos was born last fall.

11. Multispeciestamer

[​IMG] Google image of a Steelhead Parr. Now when spring comes and they begin the smolting phase they will become more silver.

12. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

All good information there Multi..., however, steelhead/salmon are hatched, not born!

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOO?!

14. Multispeciestamer

Haha very true. Miscommunication on my end. =P

15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

How may of you knew that many hatched fish species aren't either sex for a period of time, and that you can create all males or all females by adding testosterone or estrogen into the feed?