1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Keychain maker's

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by Kyboy900, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Kyboy900

Kyboy900 New Member

Just wondering if anyone makes keychains from animals if so I was wondering how you keep them from rotting away

2. It depends on what you mean by that. if you want to put a tail on a keychain, you have to skin it out and tan it. You can also mummify feet for it. Or if you really want, you could freeze-dry a chipmunk or something. If you'd like, I can tell you how to mummify things!

3. Kyboy900

Kyboy900 New Member

Sorry I meant made from feet I saw some made from coyote and beaver and it just made me wonder

4. Ah. For feet, all you do is bury them in salt for a while. If You want to do this with coyote feet, you might want to get them freeze dried. But anything smaller than that all you have to do is leave 'em in salt for about a month.

5. Kyboy900

Kyboy900 New Member

Ok I don't really know anything about freeze dried stuff so does it keep the bugs off and stop it from dry rot

6. Yup. Freeze drying works just as well as taxidermy, depending on the specimen. You'd have to ship it to someone to get it done. (unless you want to spend 100's of dollars on equipment, that is)

7. Kyboy900

Kyboy900 New Member

Ok thanks with the salt way do you think it would work with beaver or would you think it would need to be done like the coyote also do you know any body that does freeze dry

8. I think it would work for beaver feet. You might have to wait a little longer though. You can tell that they're done when they're stiff and don't have a scent. Also you can contact hairyperch on here. I'm pretty sure he freeze drys.