1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

large mouth bass mount question

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by lock jaw fish mounts, Nov 17, 2016.

1. lock jaw fish mounts

lock jaw fish mounts New Member

hello all. I have a queastion about a fish I have. The story is I caught this fish 13 years ago. it was gut hooked and going to die so I brought it home and was going to get it mounted. I wrapped the fish in news paper and a wet towel. I never had the money to get it mounted and eventually forgot about it. My dad was cleaning out his freeser the other day and found it in the back. long story short, the fish is in great condition and now weighs about a pound. it was a 10 lb fish. Basically its freeze dried I guess. the tail is a little out of wack and there is slight yellowing on some of the skin, but not bad at all. My question is can I use this fish as is with some clean up and do something to the skin to preserve it from its present condition? I think it would be so killer to mount it. Any ideas?

2. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

I think at this point, think repop.

3. I hope you have some nice photos of it, right when it came out of the water. Reproduction would be your best option IMHO. Good luck, John

4. lock jaw fish mounts

col thanks. I have some pics somewhere. the fish looks just like it did when I caught it. its just freeze dried now.

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I have rehydrated fish that were similar to that but it takes a lot of work and time. 1 lb. from 10 pounds sound like a lost cause though. Yeah I'd go with a repro.

6. lock jaw fish mounts

Thanks guys. Ill take some pics of it. Im just astonished that the fish is pretty muck perfect. its just light. crazy I know.

7. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

When I first read this I figured yep, it must've been a frost free freezer. Maybe the freezer part of a refrigerator/freezer. Maybe just a stand up freezer. Then I went back and read the post again and it was mentioned "the back" of the freezer. Yep, it's freeze dried. You should always freeze a fish in a chest freezer if it is going to be on their for some time. And never wrap it in news paper. As Cecil said though, it can be rehydrate with a little time and effort.

8. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I'll bet I had one similar years ago. Usually when a customer says he's had a pike in his freezer for two or three years it isn't an issue. This guy brings in this garbage bag with a big "U" shaped fish inside with all the air still in the bag. He hands it to me and the bag literally weighs about 6 or 7 pounds!!! He had stuffed this pig in his refrigerator/freezer! Not good. I opened it up and out pops the most beautifully preserved maybe 42" Pike with a girth that was off the charts. Probably was 25+ pounds with at least a 27"-28" girth. It looked like it swallowed a football. Stuck in time in this ridiculous U shape I didn't even know fish could bend that far! Anyway, long story short-ish, I tried rehydrating normally in cold water for hours and it didn't do a thing to it. Still a freeze- dried shoe leathery fish! I imagine the skin was like an Alligator Gar!

This was probably 15 years ago. I gave up at that point and called my customer with the bad news. A replica that fat was nowhere to be found. I ended up tossing this beautiful fish - argghhh! Now, today, I probably would end up with the same results, but if I were you I'd email Bruce Rittel's and see if he can offer some advice. There has to be a way to add moisture back to that thing - at least in the skin to at least give you a chance.

All this being said, I did have a Crappie once that was in a similar freeze-dried state. I don't know if it was the thinner skin of the Crappie or what, but it did rehydrate enough that it eventually became flexible enough to mount. The neat part was the meat peeled off SO easily! The easiest Crappie I've ever skinned out for certain - took me maybe twenty minutes! The only things I soaked this fish and skin in were water and Dawn/water for a long time. It eventually came back enough to skin out. Don't know if it would work for the thick skin of a pike. Let us know if you come up with anything and good luck!

9. I wonder if ultra soft would work for fish,something to ask Bruce Rittle.

10. lock jaw fish mounts

Thanks guys. I was hoping to just leave it as is and clear it with something. its perfect.

11. david roemer

david roemer New Member

I doubt that this fish would become hydrated enough to skin and mount with satisfactory results. If the fish appears to be
    in good shape and posed nicely, cast it and make a replica blank from it. If you have no experience with this, someone who does may be willing to do this for you in exchange for them having the mold. You would at least have an exact reproduction of your fish.

12. lock jaw fish mounts

once again thank gang. what if I just clean it and clear it with something. what would happen?