1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Yard sales, thrift shops and the like as sources

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Sea Wolf, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

For those searching for specimens for your collections, don't rule out thrift shops and yard sales. Do a fast drive by and see if there is anything of interest. Poke your nose into second hand stores, especially ones run by guys that do estate cleanouts. Do a Google search in your area and look for junk removal, home cleanouts, etc. Call these people and leave your name and phone number. Tell them what you are interested in. A lot of these guys sell the stuff they come up with as salvage in small shops of their own. Wandered into one today and just mentioned that I was always looking for old skulls, hunting trophies, animal hides, claws and the like. Guy says he has something he doesn't know what to do with and maybe I would be interested. Drags this out of the back room. Needless to say it came home with me. Very unexpected but a welcome surprise.

[​IMG]

2. One time someone gave a a pronghorn skull with horn sheaths and jaw for only 5$. Second hand sources are worth it.

3. Don't get me wrong...I love a good estate sale and and all the thrift shops in my area know me by name... But you have to go into them with your eyes open. Around here you're more likely to find an old raccoon skull, stained and broken, that was in Great Uncle Joe's basement for $100 because it must be "antique"! I've found way too many whitetail spike skull caps, the odd vertibra or miscellaneous bones that I as a child probably would have picked up from the roadside (or did), or crappy moth eaten mounts that the dealers have put outrageous prices on...presumably because someone must pay that price for them. I am so envious Sea Wolf that you can find treasures like that!

4. Sea Wolf

Gwendolyn, not sure where Sanford is but if it is a high end neighborhood look outside that area. Around here, even though it is a resort area in many places, dead stuff is creepy and relegated to the back rooms where no one will see it and be offended.

5. Is that one male or female, and what's in the jars - phalanges?

6. Sea Wolf

Haven't got a good look at the pelvis yet to try and guess. It is in three pieces. Can't say I'm any good at determining from the skull structure. Small containers contain what looks like feet and hands combined. I don't know what's missing but I don't think it's complete. From the 1940 era so I think it might be from India.

7. btr

btr Member

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for it? ;D

8. Sea Wolf

Less than $200 and I think it's worth more than that. Even if it isn't articulated and bits might be missing. Box smells really strong of mildew but I would like to save it. Thinking of giving the bones a light scrub with some Dawn to remove surface dirt and oils from years of handling. They have a nice aged patina and I don't want to use peroxide and have it whiten them. The sutures in the top of the skull are different. Not tight and solid. Might be from a younger individual and not an adult. If anyone is good at guessing, I can take some detailed pictures.

9. btr

btr Member

That is a great deal!