1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Oil Mess

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by s7ducks, Nov 22, 2016.

1. s7ducks

s7ducks Member

I had a friend show up while I was oiling a tanned cape and he managed to knock over the oil cup. The oil is all over the fur a real mess. I went ahead and oiled the flesh side and let it sweat. Is it OK to wash the oil off the fur with Dawn dish soap??? Should I put salt in a bath of Dawn and wash the oil off drain and re-oil flesh side?

2. s7ducks

s7ducks Member

Well I had not dumped the tanning solution so I added Dawn to it washed up the oil rinsed in clean water and all is good. towled the fur and dried it with compressed air.READY TO MOUNT!!

3. Are you tanning for a wall hanger or rug ? Or are you tanning for a mount . Big difference . Personally if for a mount I wash it in downy shampoo . cleans good and you can stretch good . Use look warm water.. Now a wall hanger that's different . I could care less how much oil gets into the fur . Brake it over the edge of a wooden able and go in different directions . stretch it by pulling the skin same you will see the skin brake when it turns white . Throw it in a dryer NO HEAT with corn cobb grit about a dozen tenses balls and a small hand full of dry preserve . SMALL run it for a few hours , brake it again . if needed more oil let it soak in dryer again . Works for me soft pliable clean fresh smelling deer skins if you really want that I went full crazy with it get a belt sander and 80 grit paper and sand the flesh side it will make it look good . {big deal} I say but hay have fun