1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

European Skull....Filling Brain Cavity

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Ken 2, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Ken 2

Ken 2 Member

I have been using thinned Bondo to fill brain cavity on my European skull mounts. Don't like the smell or the expense. Anyone ever tried plaster. I fill the cavity to have some thing that won't split when I drill and attach skull to panel. Thanks.

2. chamonix

chamonix Member

Not familiar with filling cavity. I've simply pre-drilled holes and not had splitting occur. Have also used spring loaded drywall anchors pushed through a drilled hole.

3. gill1

gill1 Member

ny
    I just drill a hole a little bigger then a plastic drywall anchor. The kind used for hanging pictures when you cant hit a stud. then put use 2 part epoxy in the hole add ancore and wait till it drys to secure it.

4. Ken 2

Ken 2 Member

Thanks for the replies and will give the anchors a try. Sure would simplify the process.

5. QBD

QBD Active Member

I drill a hole, insert the plastic dry wall anchor and mount the head on the panel with a single screw in the anchor. Have never used epoxy on the skull/anchor and never had an issue. I am dealing with eastern whitetails. I would try the same with mid-western whitetails which are generally larger/heavier to determine if the system was stout enough. Might have to adjust the hole/anchor size and screw size.