1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2nd duck What needs tweeked

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by david301, Nov 24, 2016.

1. This is the second duck I have done and am needing some advise on what needs moved before it dries.

Attached Files:

2. nm

Attached Files:

3. lok

Attached Files:

4. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Looks great to me, can´t really see your eye-work but I would be happy with this one

5. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

Wow that is one heck of a second duck! Only 2 things stick out to me and they are minor and nit picky....you may want to taxi the neck up a bit to smooth the transition from the head to the hood to avoid the "line" you have at the base of the head. The base of the tail looks slightly too wide "spread out" by maybe 1/2" overall but again thats getting fussy. The sides of the tail may have been pinned slightly to far forward on the body to cause that, just remember the tail feathers originate from a relatively small common area and fan out from there, they don't go straight back. Post a pic of the eyes if you get a chance, and again well done!

6. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Throat needs filled out . Mergs have lots of stretch in that area. Wings could attach a bit higher and the tail on a swimmer will be straight out or tipped up some. The necks are always a problem on lawn darts as they stretch out so much. Look at some good reference and check how the feet lay on a swimming duck and see if yours mimic what the pictures show. It's hard to tell in your picture. Otherwise a nice mount.

7. Here is the eyeset

Attached Files:

8. I brought the base of the tail closer together and more straight out. Any better?

Attached Files:

9. I tried moving the neck skin up to the head more but then I just get another line higher up. I think my caulking is setting up a bit. But it is adjusted a little. Next time I will remember to fill it out a little more. First duck I did was a woody and destroyed it. One side looked great but the other was bad. Broke down and got a vandykes flesher, made quite the difference. Also noticed if I soak the bird in dawn first it helped with the burn through quite a bit.

Attached Files:

10. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

The tail looks better, i would just try to even out the left hand tail feathers to look more like the right side.

11. Ok, thanks guys for all your help. Thought I had to be close on most things. You can look and look and compare to your reference but sometimes takes another eye. I hope the guy gets a drake that would be a bit more fun. By the way can someone please explain the major differences between a puddle duck and a diver. I have done a lot of birds just now getting into waterfowl.

12. Ted

Ted Member

Divers legs and hips are further back so they have to stand up straighter to have their center of gravity over their feet. Use a bit of clay to bulk out the eye brow. Lokks great for a 2nd duck.