1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Replica fish mounted on top of Sign

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Since my taxidermy business sign was snapped off of two posts (4 X 4 treated lumber) by some strong straight lines winds the other day I'm thinking of not only revamping the sign (was due for a makeover anyway) but mounting a large replica fish on top of it. Haven't' decided on what species, but it will be quite large as in northern pike,, musky, grouper painted like a largemouth, or big salmon etc. No saltwater fish as I do almost exclusively freshwater fish in Indiana.

Anybody know if the fish is painted in lacquers and clear coated with an automotive clear coat how durable it will be in the outside weather?

If fading will become an issue are there certain colors that will resist fading better as in darker colored fish? I know from having a log home that darker stains last longer on the logs than lighter ones.

Thanks.

2. I would be careful using laquers under a catalyzed 2 part automotive clear coat, it will probably peel. If you use water or solvent based colors youll be fine under that type of clear, and depending on the quality of the clear you shouldnt see any fading for up to 20 years.

3. hambone

hambone Well-Known Member

You might even consider a teepee type roof over it to protect from weather.

4. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Just some common sense here, if you are using automotive clear coat, then why wouldn't you use automotive paint? Or at the very least, ask someone that paints cars? After all, millions and millions of cars outside and on the roads don't peel, don't fade, don't blister, Idk, it's not rocket science. Just ribbing you Cecil!!! Lol

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Automotive clear coat is not 2 to 1 it's 4 to 1. Does that make a difference?

6. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I'm with Ken. I would drill some vent holes in strategic locations. If the fish will be seen at a high level drill the holes at the fin junctures and put some on the bottom for weep holes. Keep any water from entering and later freezing causing expansion. Might be better using sign grade MDO and cut out a fish. Good luck JL

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Not a bad Idea.

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

You have a point M.T. I know I wouldn't have any problems mixing my own colors with the primary colors, but how much would I have to buy?

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Thanks JL. Goof points.

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Good points.

11. den007

den007 Active Member

Hi Cecil........you might want to investigate a very tough clear coat used to paint helicopters. I believe it is called Imron by Dupont. It is VERY toxic, but practically bulletproof. It is also very expensive. New Wave taxidermy has a giant bass that might work for you. Good luck!

12. Show cars have been painted this way until the past few years.

It will work fine.

Imron is old technology. It is seldom used for anything other than commercial trucks, like UPS that are repainted yearly. http://www.tcpglobal.com/?gclid=CMSP-cLIxdACFYQ2gQod2poHJA

Tons of urethane's are available, even epoxie clears. YOu can find water borne paitn that work almost like lacquers, with mid coats and top coats.

I really like the PPG Shopline clears. 4.2 VOC urethane clear is super durable and has a medium build.

The mix 2 to 1 or 4 to 1 all depends on the paint. not the use. I am sing some 4 to 1 to 1. I really like. its $123.00 per gallon with the hardeners.

Some to the auto paint shops will insist you use their reducer but most of the 2k paints can be cleaned up or reduced with acetone.

http://us.ppgrefinish.com/getdoc/9971a97c-1c79-4bb0-bf7b-7ce449e4e8f0/Shop-Line-System-Selection-Guide

Here is a start for you Cecil, sad to say most of the info you were given is old old advice. http://www.autobody101.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2637

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Thanks John. Much appreciated.

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

So no one here has actually done what I'm proposing or knows someone that has done it? Seriously? Whatever happened to thinking out of the box?

I remember a fish judge that judged our Indiana show one year from Ohio (Mark Frazier), and he had a rainbow replica mounted as a hood ornament on his car.

I guess I'll talk to whoever I end up buying a replica from for this purpose. Or maybe Mark is still doing taxidermy. So many of us leave the profession...

15. den007

den007 Active Member

I will say it again Cecil..........Imron by dupont. Check out the specs. Nothing tougher. Weather, chemical, resistant of everything.

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Will check it out Den. Thanks!

17. Den are you serious, I thought you knew how to do research? NOT!

YEs there is a lot of better products out there. Cecil yes I did that years ago and even did a lifesize sculpted concrete elk.

18. There are a ton of epoxies for autos and trucks that are better than Imron. SS550 ceraclear and many others. As I said Imron is old technology Being that a fiberglass fish will not expand at the same rates as metal.

Cecil have you considered using a clear gel coat?

19. den007

den007 Active Member

I may not know everything like some on here Cecil......but I can spell and write a sentence. Hey John, what is that rambling hoo-ha written at the bottom of all your posts? Plato? Socrates? ::)

20. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

:)