1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Replica fish mounted on top of Sign

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Ron Kelly

Ron Kelly Active Member

I have had numerous replica signs over the years( Grouper) and some plywood ones as well. All lasted a long time. Most of any problems came with hail.I just painted regular and did 3 heavy coats of auto clear on mine. It is a magnet for drawing people in by the way. Alot of folks just want to take a picture, so be prepared for the folks. I actually prefer plywood over a replica, because it is an 8 ft long fish. Just make sure and seal the edges with caulk and outdoor paint. Hope this helps.

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Thanks Ron. I'm used to photo takers at the end of my driveway. For some reason they want to take pictures of log homes.

3. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    Archie Phillips had a LARGE shark mounted on to of a pole near his studio. Don't know how long it was up there but when I saw it the paint job looked pretty rough/bad.
    I had a fish mount/replica outside for a while and I'd say it lasted maybe 3-4 years and I repainted it...........I used no special paints as I remember..........just what I used on everyday fish mounts.

4. I paint cars for a living, any mid to high grade 2 part auto clearcoat will last at least 20 years without fading, use 2-3 coats. The only thing i would be wary of is the 2 part product going over top of a 1 part laquer, might work, or it might not.

Clears i have used are shopline JC6800 JC620 DC2000 DC3000 DC4000 D8150 D8152 CERAMICLEAR. Stay away from the OMNI series clears, most of them peel after 4-5 years in the sun

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It has been a few years since I was in the auto body trade but, if I recall correct, a 2 part clear will work fine over lacquer paint you just have to give it a couple flash coats and let dry between coats prior to applying any wet coats. It is what I do now when I clear fish mounts that I paint with lacquer.

6. den007

den007 Active Member

I like Ron's idea of a 2 dimensional giant fish. Lots of folks at flea markets around here have metal cutting techniques that would produce a huge fish. Might even be able to get color baked into the metal. Probably end up less expensive than a giant fiberglass fish and be more visible. We do have a restaurant nearby that has a monster bluegill in the front. I will get a pic and any information they may have on it. Onalaska WI has a big one on the city border as well. Google Onalaska Wisconsin and you might see it.

7. Some of the same ones I have used, a friend with a body shop uses those also. Shopline is a PPG product.

As mentioned I have been shooting these over liifetone and Polystranspar for several years now and even over some truck tailgates, one iver over 10 years since I painted a scene on it. no problems.

8. den007

den007 Active Member

Here is the plan Cecil. I will go inside and distract the hot blonde waitress. You can then transfer this monument to fishing to your truck or van and make a quick exit. Done deal!

Attached Files:

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Ha Ha yep I'll be right up.

That said that doesn't look much better than Bubba Bass or whatever that talking bass is called. LOL

10. bowelk

bowelk Member

Hey Cecil, I do about 6 - 8 sailfish a year for people in the Phoenix area that want these things hanging on the walls bordering their yards next to their swimming pools. I take them to an auto body shop and have them UV clear coated. I also have a cam lock type of hanger installed so the customer can remove it from the wall and store it in the AZ home when he goes back to his home in the Midwest 6 months out of the year. According to my customers, this is working well for them and also the fish. I'm still shocked that is has, as the temps in the valley can exceed 118 degrees, and the wall temps are even higher! It is not uncommon in the Phoenix Metro area to have 20 - 30 consecutive days where the temps, even at night, never drop below 100 degrees!

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Good to hear. Thanks for the information.