1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

EZ-100, few quick questions.

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by zammerak, Nov 25, 2016.

1. zammerak

zammerak Member

I am currently tanning 4 deerskins hair on and I am using the EZ-100 instructions from the link below.
    http://www.taxidermyarts.com/documents/rittel_instructions/EZ-2000-instructions.pdf

In the instructions I don't see a very clear "Neutralizing" step. Am I missing something or do the hides stay acidic for the ez-100 solution to better penetrate?

As for my second question, how long can hides be left "oiled" before drying and breaking? I am going through the tanning process with a buddy of mine as one of the hides is his and wants to see every step and help in the breaking process. the issue is that our work schedules do not align and we only have time over the weekend.
    Since the hides will be ready to go into the ez-100 bath tomorrow (saturday) that means they will be oiled on Sunday and start breaking (according to the directions) monday or tuesday depending on how fast they want to dry. so do i either A: just leave them in the pickle and plan to tan them mid week so they will be ready to break over the weekend or B. let them sweat and don't open them to dry until Thu to have them ready to break saturday or sunday?

Thanks for all of the help!

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I would not proceed without a response from someone who knows the formula. When I used it years ago, there was a neutralizing step between the pickle and tan. It was a 20 minute soak, however, I don't remember the amounts of acid or salt to add. Things may have changed since then. Bruce Riittel, who is the original manufacturer of it usually is on here fairly regular. I would wait and if no one replies, I would hold off until someone does.

3. MortesHound

MortesHound New Member

I happened upon this tutorial sometime ago for the EZ-100: http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,56668.0.html

I hope this helps!

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Yes Ez-100 likes to be acidic to attract the tan to it. This is why it gets neutralized for 15-20 minutes and then drained and placed into the tanning solution that has a pH of 4.5 and after an hour of soak recheck the pH and raise it or lower to read 4.5,

Now tomorrow an hour before you take it out of the tan recheck the pH and make sure it reads 4-4.5 if not adjust the pH and buffer the skin for an hour, take out drain and rinse the hide. Then drain for an hour I like and then I run them in my clothes dryer (set on cool) for twenty minutes, from here I oil, fold over night and then hang the skin overnight . From here dry and break or freeze till your ready

5. zammerak

zammerak Member

Thank you all for the assistance, i should be ready to go. I'll report back in a few days with the results!

6. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Hi Zammerak! Give me an e-mail from you and then I can attach that updated Instruction sheet you can download and print. My e-mail is [email protected] - don't forget the _ between bruce and rittel! I'll also include the updated EZ-100 Kit Instructions - it will give you more info on Oiling and then hanging them until its time to Pull and Break them soft.