1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Big rip in cape

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by dihard, Nov 25, 2016.

1. dihard

dihard aim small miss small

So I shot this deer a second time as it was running away and skimmed its shoulder as seen in picture .it is a clean tear I can push it together it lines up good .i know I can stich it up but was wondering what your thoughts are on how it will hold up when cape dries on form ? And how will it be stretching it over the form ? Should I stich it green ? or stich it tanned ? Or stich it green then re-stich it tanned ? Any advise on what to do or expect would be great ! Thanks

Attached Files:

2. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

Personnally,I would sew it after tanning. Thin the skin at tear and use a baseball stitch. All should be fine on form. If you feel that it is still visible, that would be a great place for some habitat or driftwood.

3. Sew after tanning and thinning. Not sure why anyone uses a baseball stitch for taxidermy. That stitch puckers up a baseball for a better grip. Is that what you want in taxidermy? Use a whip stitch.

Bruce

4. dihard

Thanks for advice I will stitch it after tanned .if it comes out good I'll post a picture when he's done

5. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

That's a simple hole to repair, trim until cut hairs are off skin the sew

6. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Just use a Right turn wall pedestal and forget the sewing. Lol

7. offset right turn and no sewing.

8. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

Sometimes with cuts like this, I will trim off any cut hair and instead of sewing I will push the two edges together and use 1 inch Brad nails to secure the edges. Space the brads about 1/4" to 3/8". Eliminates the sewing and I find this method easier to accomplish a smooth, flat and invisible repair.

9. dihard

Thanks that's a goo tip .more I look at rip I think half of it will be on on back side of form never to be seen