1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish clear coat

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by mopsrdrawer67, Nov 28, 2016.

1. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

What is the best clear coat that y'all use for fish? (ie: warm water fish) I have tried spray clear from McKenzie, and rattle can 'Fish Gloss' also from them with soso results. Heck, I had nicer results from rattle can clears off the department store shelves!! Is there a gloss out there that everyone uses that I don't know about??
    Thanks, Greg

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I use an automotive clear coat over my lacquers. Had all kinds problems with the clear coats I bought from taxidermy supply companies and local stores. Now that I use an automotive clear coat I have no issues whatsoever.

That said make sure you clean your gloss gun well after use (I even soak my parts many times), and you have a good spray booth.

Here is what I use from Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automotive-Clear-Coat-Fast-Dry-2K-Urethane-4-1-Gallon-Clearcoat-Kit-w-Fast-Act-/260984126518?hash=item3cc3ddbc36:g:-iMAAOSwF1dUPUA6&item=260984126518&vxp=mtr

3. jimss

jimss Active Member

I've never had a problem with Krylon crystal clear or triple thick in a can that you can purchase at Walmart. I live in Colo where it's super dry. Others may chime in using it in humid locations? Try a super light flash coat to begin with and allow plenty of time to dry between coats. If a coat looks milky run a hair drier over it and it should turn clear.

hampenn likes this.
  4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

You will never get the same results with a rattle can than you get with auto clear. It's a pain to use, and health precautions must be taken, but the results are night and day.

5. Cole yes you can but that rattle can with the catylist is $29.00

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I also find that auto clear gives me a bigger bang for the buck (after all your spray can has an aerosol occupying some of the volume), and the auto clear is more environmentally friendly, as you're not chucking a spray cans in the landfill after every use.

I also have a rock hard high gloss finish the next day with the auto clear, with no fear of a smudging or fogging where I hold the fish while attaching it to driftwood or a panel.

7. I have been using Shopline 4.2 Voc and fast hardener. adding abit of extra hardener and it kicks in 15 minutes.

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

That's cool but next day is good enough for me. And the price is right with the above product I listed from Ebay with no extra shipping charges.

9. A few people use Rust-Oleum Specialty Lacquer Clear with good results. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Specialty-11-oz-Gloss-Clear-Lacquer-Spray-Paint-1906830/100194482

Adding a cheap after market nozzle will give you better results. They put out much greater volume in a fan spray pattern.
    http://artprimo.com/catalog/calligraphy-red-p-319.html

10. den007

den007 Active Member

Good old, cheap, Rustoleum 2X works for me. Dries fast. I am not into "glassy" looking fish anyways. I have seen far too many fish I consider over glossed.

11. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I also have had mixed results with the rattle can glosses. Keep in mind that I live in Central Arkansas and have high humidity issues regularly. Personally, I've been very happy with the results I get from using the 2 part gloss Aqua Clear. It's a 4 to 1 mix ratio. It doesn't fog up like the spray cans do but if any moisture gets trapped in the finish small bubbles will form. Just keep a needle handy and pop the bubble while the finish is still wet.
    I put a couple ounces of lacquer thinner in my gravity fed gloss gun and spray it out. Works fine to keep it clean.

12. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

Wow! There are lots of options out there. Some people like super high gloss, while others prefer a more subdued final coat. I like a super high gloss on trout and salmon, but less gloss on others. I guess personal preference.
    I am going to try a couple products that were mentioned here. Thanks so much for the input. Greg

13. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I remember...........

In the 1970's I remember using a fish gloss from Van Dykes and it came in a little jar and I used a small paint brush to brush it on. My mom still has some of those fish.

Does anyone know what they used?

:)

Kerby...

14. dougp

dougp Active Member

Kirby...I'm familiar with that Van Dyke gloss. It was pretty good stuff. I also used many clear coats in spray cans over the years that are no longer available. After speaking with Gene from Lifetone over the years it seems that the EPA has caused some of these good products to be taken off the market by banning some of the chemicals used. I've also had problems with Hydromist and Polytranspar clears and sealers being way too thin and not compatible with mixing some of my powders. Gene says he is trying to solve the problem but doesn't seem to have the answer yet.......

DougP

15. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Ahhh...Van Dykes SuperGlaze. Man that stuff was the best. I wish I could still get it. One coat was sufficient and you only needed a cheap hand brush to apply it so clean up was a breeze. It reacted with NOTHING and gave you a really nice gloss. No fisheye, no dry spray, no moisture issues, no paint melting.

Kerby you ruined my day. :D

16. Gary R

Gary R Active Member

At the Kelly Moore paint stores, they sell a gloss in an aerosol can. It is fantastic and glossy, and hard as nails! I just bought 8-cans to get me through my winter fish projects.

17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Perhaps you never will, but using a similar product years ago, I had good success for a long time and then got a bad one. Nothing like painting several fish and have the clear coat crap out on you. Then I had it happen again but a different problem. Swore off of the cans from then on. And the Kyrlon Triple Thick is not available in my area, including Walmart, where I refuse to shop at unless they have something I absolutely need and can't get anywhere else.

18. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly and there is the smudging or fogging I get from handling fish sprayed with other than the Automotive clear coat that I don't have to deal with.

19. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I know someone that said the same thing. I think he's dead now from using the product.

Just kidding!

One of my friends and competitors uses Envirotex for his fish. Says he's never had a problem but even though I like a high gloss that's a little too heavy for my taste. I've heard rumors that it may yellow over time but can't say I've ever seen that.

20. jimss

jimss Active Member

I'm pretty sure Krylon Crystal Clear replaced Krylon Triple Thick. I switched over immediately to crystal clear when triple thick disappeared off the shelves. It's available at most hardware stores and is pretty inexpensive. I haven't had any fogging problems but I live in low humidity. If you live where it's humid there can potentially be fogging problems with any type of gloss. Crystal clear puts on a pretty uniform gloss and I don't have to do any cleanup of my sprayer! If my memory is correct Rick Krane uses spray cans in his fish videos so they must not be all that bad?