1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

how long in acid after shaving

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Ittybit, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Ittybit

Ittybit Member

IL
    I wasn't sure how to look this up. What is the shortest time you have to put a shaved hide back in the pickle before you can do brush on tan? Instructions say over night but I was wondering if I could shave the WT hide first thing in the morning then do the neutralizing and tanning in the afternoon. Using Tru Bond brush on tan.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I would give it no less than 24hrs.

3. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

What Tanglewood said is best, but if the skin was pickled thoroughly, and the skin wasn't too thick to start with, what your wanting to do will be OK.

You said "hide". I assume you mean back skin? If so, have you tried using a belt sander, or even a orbital sander/course grit? Hide will be almost as soft as a chamois! That will eliminate most of that breaking.

4. Ittybit

Ittybit Member

IL
    Think you both for your answers. I am doing deer shoulder mounts for 3 kids for Christmas. For the best results I will slow down a little and make sure it is done right.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I started out, i was always in a hurry and rushed everything much to my detriment. Learning to slow down and not rush any steps was the hardest thing to learn to do for me. I always wanted to do the finish work before the mount dried. I wanted to rush the pickle and so on. I'm glad you see that proper procedure is more important than rushing one.