1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Science behind tan penetration

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by DSalters, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Oldshaver, I wasn't being condescending. I was just trying to figure out if you were being serious, or if you were just wanting to pull my chain and do a little cutting up. I'll go with either one at the drop of a hat any time. Most of what I do is slow, tedious, and boring, many times the joking is a welcome break.

One of the things I have always maintained is that someone has to write the book in order for someone else to read it. Anything that you see my name on has been from my own life experiences. If what I have seen with my own eyes does not match up with someone else's claims, then I am going to question the validity of someone else's information. Which in essence is what you are also doing here, and everyone else following this thread. At this point we all either "talk shop", and someone gains the benefit, or we end discussion if it should come down to someone copping the "it's my way or the highway" attitude. Sniping from the Peanut Gallery is another good way to end a discussion. That's one of those things that always reminds contributors that they have better things to do.

All I have been doing for years is presenting the facts and evidence that I have came up with. For free. A lot of what I have gave away for free has cost me a pocket full of money, and one Hell of a lot of time. The time that I have already spent on this thread could just as well been spent on making a dollar. I can actually set up web pages with greater time efficiency than responding with any detailed information on these threads. It's human nature if you give them one answer to a question, they want a dozen more answers. Beats the Hell out of working for the answers. You and I are in similar positions, if we "give" too much information, it can actually be used against us, and you well know what I mean by that. If you take a closer look at a lot of the information I have given over time, it is nothing but what a person could have gained on their own (at least to some degree). Now, let's move on to "shop talk".

I'm going to add a photo to this thread that I posted in the reference section only five days ago. This is a photo I took of my kitchen floor, my bare foot, and a fawn pulling on my shirt tail. Take a look at the fawn's back right behind her right ear, and then look across to the opposite side of her back. Uncle George will tell you, "That sumbeech has photos for all occasions." Since I have had a little bit of experience with these hair and skin conditions in live animals, I couldn't help but notice the similarities of the clinical symptoms displayed in the link provided.

I'm also fairly familiar with lupus as my own mother died with complications associated with it.

2. DSalters

DSalters New Member

Glen, thank you for taking the time to post all of these pictures and run the webpages you do. There's an amazing amount of information available...like you said though, you could just as easily be making money rather than giving it away. Thank you for chosing the later.

I have learned quite a bit from your (and others') contributions and will most certainly leave these posts bookmarked.

My father had a wild fawn touch his leg with its nose...not quite as extreme as pulling on your shirt.

George, OS, cyclone, et al., thank you as well. Now I don't have to continue on with my wayward thinking about the nature of skins.

Daniel

3. AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been there, doing that!

4. You should also consider polar covalent bonds. This might help explain the use of fatliqours and how they are beneficial.

Also, not all paint-ons are created equal. Catalysts can be introduced to slow penetration. Most folks think of a catalyst in terms of speeding up a chemical reaction, but they can also be used to slow a process down. This will allow greater penetration of the tanning agent. However, that being said, a paint-on tan is useful for very thin skins at best and is no substitute for a submersible tan with the proper chemistry.