1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Game Head (whitetail) please critique

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by boone90, Nov 29, 2016.

1. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

I apologize for posting before the mount is totally finished but I am doing another one this coming weekend and would like some input so I can improve on the next one. I figure I can ask for a finishing critique in the coming weeks. The antlers were given to me and I bought a cape, both were put together on a Matuska competitors choice semi sneak form, 360 earliners with partial cartilage removal. I know I messed up the earliners, I should have lopped off the little ball at the end and consequently the ears are a little long and muley like but I will change that on the next one. I would love to get some
    feedback about ears and eyes especially. Overall I was pretty happy for a first game head, but I am a perfectionist so lets hear it!

Attached Files:

2. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

More

Attached Files:

3. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

The tear ducts also opened up since I first finished it, these things seem to shrink a heck of a lot more than a duck

4. My friend, there are a lot of things you can and should do to improve on yor next deer but I have to tell you up front...if this is your first deer, you have a very good eye for this kind of thing. Stay humble and never stop learning.

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

What kind of tan or preservative are you using?

Very very good for a first one. I see deer mounts that don't look as good from commercial taxidermists. And then there are the fish!

6. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

Thanks for the kind words, the capes were wet tanned....i am 95% sure commercially. I would love to hear some specific things I can do to improve the next one!

7. Nathan

Nathan Active Member

I see symmetry issues with the eyes most noticeably, but also with the nose and brisket. Tear ducts also need work, but this is your first deer. Get lots of reference, and you will only improve.

8. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

Will do, the eyes look a lot better in person, the lighting in the shop makes that left eye look low and goofy, keep the advice coming! How is the eye shape in the close up picture? What should I do with the nose next time?

9. The back corner of the nostril opening should not come to a sharp crease. It is a softer looking depression into the nostril.

Bruce

10. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

Looks great! Like mentioned previously, the eye symmetry is off. Stare at it head on when setting eyes and make sure they're even. I think the brisket looks beautiful, maybe slightly uneven. Nice attention to detail. When its dried and detailed out, it should look great.

11. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

If you are not presently using a skife to thin the Cape around the pre-orbital gland (tear duct) and other detail areas .like the eyes and nose, then I would strongly suggest that you start. By thinning the skin around these areas, you will eliminate much of the shrinkage there.

The skife can thin these areas like nothing else. And I mean really thin!

Mount looks really nice.

12. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

I did make use of a skife knife in those areas but I may have been a bit gun shy on the thinning, I will make more of an effort to do so on the next one. I began seeing hair folicles in some spots as I thinned and was afraid the hair might start falling out. I am also going to cut a smaller groove in the form for the tear duct because I definitely over did it. I used Pro 1 hide paste and maybe took the no need pin or card anything claim a little too much for granted although it did hold most areas extremely well in my inexperienced opinion. This has been a great learning experience, the next deer is getting done this sunday and I am eager to apply the advice and greatful for everyones time and replies.

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Tanned is good IMHO. When you said you had some shrinkage issues I thought maybe you were using a dry preservative that are noted for that.

14. TROPHY SHACK

TROPHY SHACK Phillip cole

Ear butts to small and too long but great for your first

15. Get as thin as you can on the face.. skiff knife and then use a dremel with a 80 grit sanding drum.. be careful not to burn through.

16. form doesn't appear to be an off-set , so you could groom or move the skin a bit to match up the hair patterns on the front edge of his legs, leading into the brisket and armpits. GREAT first mount.

17. Wildside Outdoors

Wildside Outdoors God, Family and the GREAT OUTDOORS!!!!!

EXCELLENT first mount. Most of the things that I see have already been addressed, but the first thing that jumps out to me is your ear buts. They are too thin and definitely too long and not exactly where they are supposed to be, although your ear set/rotation is good - some good reference will get your shape down. The eye shape is a bit off - use reference here and thin down to avoid the shrinkage. The tear ducts should be of a smaller cut and you can continue to push your hide in to close that up as it dries. The brisket is great, but the armpits are uneven. The back of the nostril should flow smoothly and not have the sharp crease and the inside of the nose should have a bit more sharp structure upward. I know its an early season cape and the hair will definitely be over the bases, but your antlers may be a bit too deep as well, but that's hard to tell from the pictures and no side shot to do a line from nostril to eye. Continue to be as critical as possible and you will have a VERY promising future!

18. Aside from some of the minor issues mentioned... what a rack on a first deer mount? Beautiful mount, sir.