1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Alaska Moose Skull 2016

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by farfinmosker, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Hey all! I mostly lurk. Just wanted to share some pics. My dad got a moose up the Taku River this year like he usually does. I have been keeping dermestids and cleaning small skulls for about a year and a half, so I offered to clean the skull for him. To my surprise he just gave me the head! Said he didn't want it (he's not really into trophies, just meat). I had never cleaned a skull this large before, and it definitely didn't fit into my beetle tank...so that was a challenge...had to buy a container with low sides, and then used tape on the antlers to try and detour adventurous beetles. Worked ok for a while. Took them about 3 weeks to clean every scrap of flesh off. Just waiting on my whitening products to get here to finish it up! Didn't want to fill the bathtub with 3% hydrogen peroxide lol...

Here are a couple photos of the moose. It is considered a large moose for Taku River.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My boyfriend skinned it, and I fleshed it...and one of our cats decided moose was tasty! Had to use an old moose skull as a reference because I wasn't sure where bone was exactly...mooses are weird.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is what it looks like today. After I whiten it, I'm going to put it on one of those skull hookers I think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm also now working on his tiny rack from last year. The moose this year dwarfed the one from last year. Unfortunately my dad decided to nature clean the rack...which didn't work very well, and now it's just a bit mummified and weathered.
    [​IMG]

And my dad has more photos of this hunt and past hunts on his website if you want to look http://takuriver.com/moosehunts.htm

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

The color on that rack is incredible. Have you also degreased the bone? I love how the skull was fleshed in the house on the nice wood floors. True AK living. :)

Setsuna likes this.

3. I think I might get away with not degreasing it. I'm one of those people who likes sort of a natural bone color, not totally uniform bright white. I'll do some degreasing if I feel like it needs it...kind of a road I'm not hoping to go down with that big of a skull to be honest. I did a small grizzly skull a while back, didn't do any degreasing, just whitening with 3%, and it's perfect (for me)! Some grease towards the back, but not overwhelming a year later. Hoping the moose will go as well or better.
    [​IMG]

4. Sea Wolf

Many bears I do I degrease .. but do not whiten. Off white/ivory bone color and the teeth keep that great honey color that many have. Getting the oils out insure an even color and no rising stains later on or mold growth and dust collection on the surface grease. Bears are a pain the degrease and it can take many months to get most of it out.

BearBonz likes this.
  5. AKYetiMan

AKYetiMan Member

Looks awesome to me. The antler color is sick! My brother did a euro on his moose from palmer about three years ago. It still had velvet on the antlers. Just out of curiosity how wide was the rack?

Setsuna likes this.
  6. 37 inches. Not a monster like the ones up north, but big for the area.

7. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Yup love the cleaning in the house, awesome. Bug cleaned that we'll is great for a moose good job. They whiten up so nice, Post a final pic when done. All of mine have gone home fir the season.

8. Hey everyone,

I got a buddy who got a beauty of a Cape Breton moose this year and he was asking me how to go about cleaning skulls. Which ive been able to walk him through, hes now on the degreasing phase, he's got it sitting in a bucket with dawn dish soap but the antlers are pretty low set on either side of the skull and therefore force the back part of the skull out of the water as the antlers rest on the rim of the bucket.

Looking for tips and advice on how you guys go about making sure the entireity of the skull is simultaniously being degreased when you cannot submerge the entire skull at once.

Ive concidered telling him to soak a paper towel with the soapy water and resting it on the exposed parts and making sure its consistantly saturated and changed out when grease soaked. Or doing a daily gentle sponge bath of the exposed parts. What kind of simple fixes do you guys have for such a problem ?

Thanks !

9. Sea Wolf

The paper towel trick works with peroxide to whiten a clean skull but not getting grease out. That detergent water also has to be heated to 120 degrees. If not, nothing is going to happen. There are pictures on here of folks using a larger bin with notches cut out for the antlers if you look for them. Regardless of what it's in for a container, the solution still has to be heated 24/7.

Setsuna likes this.
  10. I’m doing 4 more right now. And they are a pain to degrease for the reason you stated.

11. Skulltastic

Skulltastic Member

I know this is probably frowned upon, but is there any good way to remove the antlers, and just degrease the skull itself and reattach without it looking obvious that the antlers were cut off? Probably also a strength issue to reattach those big things to the skull, just wondering.

12. Sea Wolf

Strength indeed. Would be an interesting lawsuit if a customer got brained by a falling antler. I would take a look at what is used to mount shed antlers onto those faux skulls. Never done it but there has to be some seriously heavy duty steel pins through there to support those safely. Same as reattaching antlers in velvet that have been cut off only on a much larger scale. They do make replacement skulls for moose. As for degreasing, I have seen pictures on here of the tubs cut to set moose heads into and sealed around the antlers. It looks 100% doable. Just something to trip over for a couple of months while it degreases.
    If he gives up and wants to walk away from it in disgust ... I'll take it and make it disappear. Seriously, just hunt around for something big that it will fit into. Those cast off reinforced 500 gallon plastic tanks work great and can be cut to whatever height you want. Look also at plastic stock tanks for watering cattle and horses.

13. slammerdude

slammerdude Member

Submerge an antler it won't hurt. There are 4 in this batch.

If you do cut or attach sheds, clean skull, put square tube through skull and square stock in antlers.

Attached Files:

14. Skulltastic

Skulltastic Member

I've never seen a moose in person but I can't imagine hunting for one or hunting another species and seeing one, they are just so big and those antlers are amazing. Especially that they drop them every year and regrow. Its truly incredible.

Setsuna and Chippers like this.
  15. Sea Wolf

Imagine a draft horse with antlers. Then you need an ATV to help you get it out of the woods before the bears beat you to it. Click on those broken photobucket links above. They don't show here but the pictures can still be seen. Can't copy them or repost them so they are being held hostage apparently.

Setsuna likes this.