1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Adding More Colors to a Finished Mount???

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, Nov 30, 2016.

1. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I have a 9lb Bass mount that I've glossed with the 2 part gloss Aqua Clear. After I've seen this mount hanging in our local bait shop I've decided I should have darkened the back a little more. This is my personal mount so I don't have a problem trying to work on it.
    My question is should I try to strip the gloss off or can I even get this type of gloss off? I've never tried to strip a mount finished with the Aqua Clear. All I want to do is darken the back a little bit more.

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Add your color(s) of choice on top if what you have, dry and flash coat/gloss like you were doing it for the first time...

3. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Thanks Marty! I'm glad to hear that I don't have to strip it first. I had hand tipped all the gold on the side and really didn't want to mess with that. Can the 2 part acrylic urethane gloss be stripped easily for future reference?

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

You're welcome. I don't know of any gloss that can be stripped easily! Once it's on, it's on. To remove you also will remove the underlying paint too. And stripping itself is messy and time consuming too.

5. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Thanks! That was what I was thinking. At the very least it would probably make a big mess.

6. You may want to scuff the gloss before coating with anything else. you can use 2000 grit and lightly wet sand it you should be fine.

7. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Thanks John! I'll definitely do that. I just want to darken the top of head and back a little more.

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Where does this AquaClear come from? Is that a Dan Rinehart product? Sounds like a relabeling of auto clear coat to me.

9. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Yes it is a John Rinehart product. While mounting fish at a friends shop I used his 2 part Automotive clear coat and the 4 to 1 mixture and the results were identical. I really didn't see any difference. they were just about the same price too.

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I assumed it was a product that was relabeled as a taxidermy exclusive product. If it's the same price no big deal, but usually that kind of thing makes the product higher in price. Not uncommon in this industry. Usually it pays to find a product that has not been relabeled.

Is it a better price than $77.00 a gallon including the catalyst with free shipping?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automotive-Clear-Coat-Fast-Dry-2K-Urethane-SMR-130-75-4-1-Gallon-Clearcoat-Kit-/260913491132?hash=item3cbfa7ecbc:g:iNAAAOSwF1dUPT0g&item=260913491132&vxp=mtr

11. $42.95 for a quart/pint kit from Rhinehart's.

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Yikes! And you still have to pay hazardous shipping! None of that with the product I buy.

13. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Thanks Cecil! I saved this on Ebay. I"ll give it a try. Definitely cheaper and I'm all for that!

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Your welcome and you won't be disappointed.