1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antlers for a plushie - question

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by devilzsangel, Dec 2, 2016.

1. devilzsangel

devilzsangel New Member

First off, I'm no where near being a taxidermist and I discovered this forum after a search due to a craft idea.

The idea is for a plushie I'm going to be sewing - it's basically a mythical creature that's part bird/part deer. My objective is to make the antlers for this plushie out of small bones. (I have access to plenty of little bones, though they'd need the be degreased and cleaned and glued together to form antlers - hence the google search that brought me here).

My question is thus: does anyone have ideas on how I could possibly attach the little bone antlers I make - using little bones - to the fleece head of the plushie? The head will be around 7" or so and made from fleece. The body is around 10" and will be basically lying on it's stomach with feet in front and behind it, so it won't be standing (unless I figure out a method to make it stand...).

It obviously won't be a toy to be played with, but more of a decoration.

I can provide a link to the plushie should anyone need it for reference.

2. MortesHound

MortesHound New Member

I'm not positive but the only thing I can think of is have two holes in the plushie head, just wide enough the insert the base of the antlers. Then just glue the antlers to the fleece. I'm not sure what glue would work, though. And I would suggest testing it out first with scrap fleece and bones, to make sure it'll look right in the finished product.

3. devilzsangel

devilzsangel New Member

I was wondering if something like that would work. My worry is if the bones would end up being too heavy and end up flopping one way or another.

The bones I currently have access to are mostly deer. If I'd thought of this sooner, I probably could have acquired some decent turkey bones from my brother (he often manages to get a turkey at least once during the hunting season) or even squirrel.

I don't hunt and my scavenging skills are pretty non-existent.

4. MortesHound

MortesHound New Member

Ah, yes, deer may be too heavy. If you don't mind the costs, you can buy bones of smaller animals, such as raccoon, rabbit, or turkey from site such as: Ebay, Etsy, hideandfur, and even from here.