1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

van dykes tanning crystals/ anti bacterial?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by the grey, Dec 2, 2016.

1. the grey

the grey Member

does the van dykes crystals have a anti microbial agent in them like the bucktan or arrow head crystals for auto tanners have? if not is there any anti bacterial stuff I can add to it that is safe? also can I just pickle the skins in the auto tanner with van dykes crystals and then brush on McKenzie tan afterwards and let sit over night or can I add McKenzie tan to the auto tanner. thanks!

2. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

The main ingredient in most of those crystals is alum. With alum, you shouldn't need a bactericide. As soon as alum hits water, it makes a small amount of sulfuric acid. That's why the pH is so low. Around 3. Long story short, a bactericide is wasted, and is overkill.
    If the Mackenzie Tan utilizes a synthetic tannage, which I assume it does, that would be a great combination tannage.(brushing on) You have to neutralize first. Without getting into a long explanation, adding this type of tan straight to the drum won't work well at all.

3. the grey

the grey Member

thanks oldshaver! ill see if I can find out if the McKenzie tan is synthetic at all.