1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Insulation for maceration

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by George1419, Dec 5, 2016.

1. George1419

George1419 New Member

Tn.
    This is my first time for maceration, I took a 5 gal bucket and placed enough water in it to cover my deer skull, I put a 300 watt aquar. heater in on 90 degrees and placed it in a broken chest freezer outside my shop, it is around 30-40 degrees here outside, will that be enough insulation to keep the process working?

2. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

That will work fine. Just keep an eye on it.

3. gill1

gill1 Member

ny
    That's what I do except I put and old cooler with heated water and aquarium heater in the freezer fill cooler 1/3 with water then put 2 skulls in separate buckets with skulls in cooler This eliminates having to change the heated water (just add more as it evaporates. It is like double insulation I cant close the cooler and you do have to open the freezer like every 2 days quickly so that you do not get mold on the antlers. If you do just hose them off and degrease. Works great.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

That should be enough but, as Gill said, if you half fill the freezer (if you can) with water and heat that water instead you can set several buckets inside full of water and everything will be heated equally. You can even add a tiny circulating pump to keep the larger amount of water moving so that there are no cold spots. If you stay the same and are still concerned with heat loss you can easily make a box of that pink foundation insulation around it. It could be buried under snow and still be 90 inside.

5. Skulltastic

Skulltastic Member

just a FYI i put a 200 watt heater in a 5 gallon bucket, uninsulated sitting on the ground, starting at around 50F water temps and it warmed up to and maintained the 90F i was requesting in 40F ambient. no cover. So 300 watt with insulation is plenty