1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Exposing the roots of teeth as a display?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by btr, Dec 7, 2016.

1. btr

btr Member

Most of you have probably seen images of a skull with the jaws cut away to expose the roots of teeth:

[​IMG]

I saw a picture of a monkey skull done the same way (the "nerves" are wax):

[​IMG]

And thought about giving it a try with different animals. How feasible does this sound? Any ideas of how to do it? Maybe a dremel tool? What cutting head? Any thoughts?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Would be different to try. I would say a dremel and different ends. I imagine the first few tries things will get broken, cut wrong and teeth damaged but I bet with practice and knowing the inside biology of the particular animal will help. That will come with the more of same species animals you pull apart. I would practice on cast off deer heads for starters. Can't say that I know anyone that keeps heads of does and there should be plenty around to practice on.

3. I get my doe skulls from a butcher when ever I want to try something new. they usually have plenty to spare.

4. skinsandkins

skinsandkins New Member

Ohio
    Might have to borrow this idea. I've got a ton of rabbits (raise 'em for show, and a lot end up in freezer camp), and it'd be cool to see the huge roots their teeth have. If I get around to it anytime soon I'll post what I did and if it worked. Would look up a tooth diagram and roughly pencil it out, then remove the teeth to avoid scratching them up before dremelling.

5. btr

btr Member

Would love to see that!

I've got a damaged otter skull I can practice on.

6. It would probably be a lot easier to do if you can remove the teeth from the skull/jaws before cutting away the bone. That way you don't have to worry about damaging the teeth.

7. Kendall

Kendall Active Member

Here is a beaver I did to demonstrate the difference between rooted and rootless teeth. I did not cut away as much of the bone for the cheek teeth as the other photos but there are many options. I removed the incisors, traced the curvature on the skull and used my Dremel to slowly cut away the bone.
    Kendall

Attached Files:

8. btr

btr Member

Nice!

What head did you use to cut it? Any tips for cutting?