1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fix Deer Ears

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by s7ducks, Dec 8, 2016.

1. s7ducks

s7ducks Member

I'm new to gamehead taxidermy, the first deerhead I did turned out great I used bondo mixed with resin for the ears and they look VERY VERY good. The problem I have is the second mount I did. I forgot to add resin to the bondo and it was too thick to get into the ear correctly. As you can guess the ears look like crap, they drummed up dried wavy on the edges and just look hideous.

IS THERE A WAY TO FIX THEM without re-hydrating and redoing the entire mount?? I got the ears to re-hydrate and tried to card them for 10 days. As soon as I took the cards off the ears went back to the horrible look

2. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

Without the catalyst, the bondo will never harden. What I would do in your predicament is probably take extreme measures. There is no easy fix since it is mounted, but I guess I would cut a slit across the back side of each ear and remove the bondo and put in plastic ear liners from a taxidermy supply company, then 'hide glue' them back together and stitch them closed. I really cannot think of another solution. Greg

3. s7ducks

s7ducks Member

OK I'm going to answer my own question and hope it helps someone avoid the same mistake. Thank you for the reply, I did use catalyst but the bondo was too thick. I have read here and other places to mix a little fiberglass resin with the Bondo and use both catalysts. Doing this makes the Bondo a little easier to flow into all areas of the ear.

Here is the mistake I made, I did not get enough Bondo into the ears it was too thin. I've since gone back and took out a few frozen capes to get a feel for how thick the ears should be. I was trying to get the Bondo as thin as earliners and that was a huge mistake. I took measurements of the deer ear thickness from the base to tip and along the edges. Surprisingly the thinnest parts of the ears are around .100" or a little over 1/16". That is not razor thin like I tried to get.

So here is what I did. I rehydrated the ears and split them at the tip and refilled them with more Bondo. This time I did not try to get a razor thin edge. I put one of the frozen ears right next to the one I was fixing and used my finger to smooth the Bondo to the same thickness of the real ear. By putting the real ear right up against the ear I was mounting I had a "Stop" so too speak that prevented me from getting the ear edges too thin.

This may be a good trick for other beginners that are having trouble with Bondo ears drumming up. With time and practice I'm sure I'll get used to the correct thickness of the ears and wont need the real ear any more. Another thing I did was poured a little rubbing alcohol into the ears before I mixed the Bondo and used a paper towel to dry the inside of the ear. In the future I'm going to do this right before I flip the ear back over to get rid of any tanning oil or excess moisture. This will help the Bondo adhere to the skin and cartilage better. I also thin roughing up the cartilage with sandpaper will also help the Bondo stick.