1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

swan id

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Exterminater, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Exterminater

Exterminater Member

I shot my first swan a few weeks ago in utah and a couple of other hunters looked at it and told me it was a trumpeter but im not sure. When i checked it in at the dnr office they werent sure either (i checked it in at a dnr office that normally doesnt see them) so what do you guys think trumpeter or tundra swan thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jeffrey

2. According to the Sibley bill shape is reliable even for juveniles - if it has a sudden downturn near the base (and a little patch of gray or color near the eye) it's a tundra, if it just forms a straight line from the base to the tip it's a trumpeter. Look up photos of the birds and check out the bill. To me this looks more like a trumpeter.

3. Exterminater

Exterminater Member

I have looked at lots of pics and I think it's a trumpeter but wasn't sure. The bill is pretty much stralight and it was way bigger then another juvinal I saw shot. I wasn't going to mount it cause it was a juvinal but if it's a trumpeter I guess I will cause I'll probably never see another one lol thanks for the help.

Jeffrey

4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

size alone should tell you...what did it wiegh?...wingspan?...