1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Labrador Retriever Bust Question

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by wildturkey58, Dec 10, 2016.

1. At one time there was a taxidermist in Louisiana (whose name i don't remember) that made foam labrador retriever busts for holding dead mount ducks. I heard he passed away a few years ago. I still have one of the busts and was wondering what would be the legal and/or ethical ramifications of recreating a mold to make these available again. I've never made a mold for something like this but i know there are a lot of people who would like to have them available. Any thoughts on the subject from my fellow bird taxidermists?

Bobby

2. retriever5

retriever5 New Member

There is currently a Taxidermist in Arkansas that has made them for years. Here is his info Jason Grady (501) 593-8236.

3. That's not really apples to apples. Grady's busts cost $200 plus. These foam ones were $45 at the time.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm guessing the guy YOU'RE referring to was Ivan Harvey and his "busts" were horrific. He called his forms "Pretty Close" but by today's standards, that was a stretch. Ivan died some time back. If you want a Lab bust that looks like a live Lab, Jason is the only place to get one.

5. this one may have been from someone else. I think they look pretty good. That being said my real question is concerning the reproduction of them.

Attached Files:

6. George

That's Ivans and IMO, it's terrible. Put one of Jason's up beside it and have a look for yourself.

7. Dylan730

Dylan730 New Member

Facebook page, Jason's Taxidermy and Sculptures, or call him he will answer any questions you may have. There is no comparison in his and the one you postd.

8. I'm very aware of Jason's sculptures. I'm also aware of the cost of those. There is a huge difference in someone wanting a dog holding a duck if the cost is $50-60 vs. $250. I sold several of these foam retrievers when the original owner was still alive and my clients loved them. I'm sure some clients would prefer the "statues" due to the higher quality. [b]MY QUESTION IS NOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE DOG BUSTS BUT ABOUT REPRODUCING THEM NOW THAT THE ORIGINAL MAKER HAS PASSED AWAY.;[/b]

Vicki Chritton-Myers likes this.
  9. George

You'll have to contact his family. A copyright is usually passed along and it would be unlawful.

And it's none of my business, but your logic escapes me. Some things in life shouldn't be owned by those too damned cheap or too broke to pay the price. No way would I mount anything on a product that didn't make my work look better. The Jonas paper forms looked great in 1960 but they'd be laughed out of my shop if I used one today.

10. Here's my logic. Not everyone's tastes are the same nor can everyone afford the highest quality extras. I certainly don't sell double stacked walnut bases with every duck mount i do, because the customer is not willing to pay for it when a single level base will do the trick and still look nice. They also aren't always willing to add habitat components which i think would make the mount look better. Do I turn away their business? No, I do not and I'm sure you don't either. I've had at least ten taxidermists try to buy this last bust from me, so i'm not the only one who thinks it looks fine.

Vicki Chritton-Myers likes this.
  11. George

LOL You really don't know me well. I turn business away quite often. I'm old, I'm set in my ways, I don't believe "the customer is always right", and I realized long, long ago that there were people that had velvet Elvis paintings hanging in their living rooms and I really didn't need their business. I understand that my name goes on every piece that leaves my shop and though the client may tell you he would tell his friends that was the way he'd requested, I know two things: (1) he lies, and (2) some of his friends know he lies as well. They're the ones who tell THEIR friends not to bring anything to me because I trashed their buddy's mount.

I wouldn't know Jason if I ran into him, but I do know that I had two of Ivan's dogs in my attic at one time. When I saw Jason's, I gave the two I had away. I've given a mini-flesher away for the same reasons. I've never felt my work was good enough that it couldn't use the best help available to me and I simply don't do it. Just last week I had a client complaining I was too high. I told him twice that he'd probably be happier taking it to someone else and that I'd probably be just as happy if he did. He left it here. This is a tough business to make a living at and selling yourself short never helps. I charge a premium price for a premium product. I don't hesitate to contract out or to hire World Champions to do work for special clients. It's paid back in spades for nearly 60 years now and when I close that door for the final time (or it closes on me), I'm not going to worry about ever short changing anyone.

12. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

Id wager that some of the jonas mounts on the old paper forms are way better than you could do on a modern foam form

13. George

Byrdman, I thought about that after I'd written, and I know for a fact that you're correct. I've refurbished a few old mounts done on paper forms and was simply amazed at the talent displayed on some of them. But then again, we both know they modified and amplified those expressionless forms with their talent and clay.

14. Wild zone

Wild zone New Member

George, I just read your reply concerning quality and all the logic that goes along with it .. I take that outlook as very sound advice . Thanks for sharing your thoughts !! Sincerely , Phillip Hall