1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Newbie setting up to do ducks

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by kickstart59, Dec 10, 2016.

1. kickstart59

kickstart59 Member

Ok so i got a bunch of ducks gifted to me to learn on. I will start on the sea ducks first to learn the wheel process. I got couple eiders, woodies, hooded mergansers , an oldsquaw, and a couple white wing scotors. So i am going to order so annealed wire and wanted to know what gauges i should order. I already got the galvanized wire.
    Any info or tips appreciated

2. nate

nate Active Member

14 gauge is probably going to be your most common. But I would have a roll of 16 and 11 gauge on hand just in case. I use 18 Guage or floral wire for wiring the wings on standing birds

3. Edrevord

Edrevord Member

Hey, I'm in the same boat on birds. Been doing mammals and want to practice birds. Would be willing to pay for some different/unique birds to work with.

4. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

You can only purchase pen raised "migratory" birds. It is illegal to sell/trade wild shot migratory game birds....just a friendly heads up. You need to rely on people's generosity for shot birds.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Some tools that will help you are DVDs, reference, and eventually one on one training. Much more important than your hand tools.

6. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

Locally, you can have around 5 migratory birds in your freezer that you can have that are 'yours'. The rest better be tagged properly and signed by the hunter. If the DNR checked you, big fines. Be careful, play by the rules and cover yourself.

7. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

They can have the legal possession limit of whole birds like hunters so more than just 5. ???