1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A great idea to keep pickles warm!?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

We all know that warm water makes skins pickle MUCH faster. Here is an idea for the cold winter months.

Cut a 55 gal plastic drum in half, or not quite half. You have about 20gal of pickle space.
    Inside the tub, on one side, mount a piece of 3" pvc pipe from the bottom to the top. Cap the bottom, and drill 3/8 to 1/2 holes throughout the bottom 2/3's of the pipe.
    Attach the pipe to your tub with self drilling screws, coated thoroughly with silicone to prevent leaks.

Buy a cheap salt water aquarium heater, and a GFI protected outlet to plug it in to. Maybe $50.00 at the most, if you already have the barrel. The PVC pipe that you drop the heater into keeps the heater from contacting the skins inside. Practice with it first, and try to keep the pickle or tan between 75-85deg F. Your pickle times will be cut by 50%, especially if your shop stays fairly cold!

I know, I know, water and electricity, blah, blah. Just don't be an idiot. Make the power source have an on-off switch? Unplug it when pulling or adding skins, and stir it with a piece of that same PVC pipe.

The point here is keeping ALL types of solutions warm. Pickle, tan, krowtan, and especially rehydration baths! EVERY PART of tanning procedures works better with warm water!

Ok, seen it done, and it impressed me. What do you think! P.S. Bigger containers=bigger heater

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Been doing this for many years. Only I just siliconed a piece of PVC pipe, cut in half length wise and with 1/2" holes drilled all over it to the bottom of the container and place the heater in that. The PVC pipe is only a few inches longer than the heater. The heater I use has suction cups on it so that it suctions to the bottom of the container. It works really well.

3. Wild zone

Wild zone New Member

Thanks , this sounds like good advice and just at the right time for me .... Much appreicated !!

4. Great advice Aubrey! Thanks, John