1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Oil

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by s7ducks, Dec 13, 2016.

1. s7ducks

s7ducks Member

Is it completely necessary to oil a tanned cape for a mount, or can I simply take it out of the tan dry it in cob dust a bit and put it on the form?

2. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Not oiling can cause big issues.
    As the mount dries, it most likely will start "drumming ", not to mention the probable loss of stretch.
    You're asking a whole lot from the hide paste. I would think that the "pulling forces" created when drying are fairly strong, and the skin won't show the definition in the form.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

It was explained to me this way. When an oiled cape expands and contracts the fibers move back and forth and stay fairly stabilized and the hide paste keeps the movement to a minimum. An un-oiled hide will expand a little and contract a lot, then expand a little and contract a lot again and over time your hide paste just can"t hold on and you get drumming.

All I know is that when I used just Liqua tan, which has oil in it, it drummed a little, so I had to use pins. When I added Liqua soft, I got unbelievable stretch and zero drumming. No pulling at the seam, no need for pins. It just allowed the hide paste do it's job better.

Every step has it's purpose and in a lot of cases, not wise to skip.

4. Yes, oil it; use some of that West by God Virginia Liquer!