1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skinning hooves

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Kraig, Dec 13, 2016.

1. I remember seeing a post not long ago about skinning out hooves completely to the end of the toe. I have tried searching for it for the last 2 hrs and can't seem to find it. I would very much appriciate any help in finding this post.
    Thanks
    Kraig

2. Was it this one? http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,63626.0.html

3. DFJ

DFJ Active Member

A sharpened screwdriver with a cutting, twisting and prying action works real well also.
    Use caution as many can testify about running the tools through the hoof and through your palm.
    If you do enough, it will happen.
    Another option if you do a lot is to mold and cast them. Started doing that around 15 years ago and never looked back.
    Easier than you may initially think.

4. Thanks for the link Eric but that is not the one I am looking for. This one they stop at the last joint of the toe. The one I remember they removed all of the bone ending up with a hollow hoof.

5. I take everything out, but I cut the pad on both sides, makes it a lot easier to get everything out. Then a couple stitches and apoxie sculpt over top, texture and paint. I can skin a foot in 10 or so minutes with this method

6. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

D. Price had an article in Taxidermy Today Mag a few months ago where he skinned out the bone till it could be put in a vice and then used two hands to skin all the way into the hoof. Not much room in there but with patience it can be done.

7. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I use my scalpel, get up between the hoof and bone and cut those tough tendons, that's what holds like iron. Grad the hoof and hold the bone with a pair of plyers and twist, usually comes out hole.